Since Nougat Update, cannot send MMS messages.
wvsamsung6
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since the recent Nougat update, I cannot send or receive MMS messages.  My APN configuration has no settings specified for MMS messaging and I cannot edit or add to the APN settings to correct this.  This happens whether I am on both wifi and mobile or on just mobile alone.

0 Likes
Re: Since Nougat Update, cannot send MMS messages.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which phone model do you have?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
wvsamsung6
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Samsung S6 Galaxy.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The APN is pulled from the SIM card.  Have you tried to reseat the SIM card?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We can’t have you missing out on the MMS messages, especially in this day and age. What error do you receive when trying to send/receive the messages? What messaging app are you using? 

StevenM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
wvsamsung6
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello all!   I have not tried to reseat the SIM card, but will look at that.

I get a message stating that says "Can't get MMS: No mobile data"  Luckily, I'm in IT so I know most of the places to look at the settings on the phone to check possible issues.  When I checked the APN settings, for both MMS settings (Multimedia message proxy and Multimedia port) they both say "not set".

I use Textra for messaging.  Textra used to have a setting where I could switch between System and Legacy settings for MMS if there were issues sending messages.  That setting is no longer available in Textra.

0 Likes
wvsamsung6
Enthusiast - Level 2

One further note on this.  Last night, I got periodic messages, meaning, all of a sudden, the 40 or so messages I missed would come in.  I could send also.  I sent a few messages today, but no photos or videos.  The message appears, I would guess 5 times throughout the day.  One minute things are working and then....nothing.  I get the message that I have no mobile data and can no longer send or receive.  Calls are not a problem, nor is accessing anything else on the phone such as apps.

This is my work phone so it is full of 20 years of information so a factory reset is not in the cards for me.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wvsamsung6, having the ability to send and receive your multimedia messages is a must. I appreciate all the information you have provided as it does help us in figuring out what could be causing this issue. Let's continue so that we may get this resolved.  I see you are using a 3rd party application for texting called Textra. Unfortunately we cannot troubleshoot it as it is not a Verizon Wireless product. You definitely have the option to reach out to the developer of that application for assistance. What do you experience when you attempt to use the native application for multimedia messages? Lastly, I know how scary it can be to perform a master reset as we never want to lose any of our precious information but there are many applications that offer ways to back up your information such as our Verizon Wireless Cloud. Please click link provided to get more information for this awesome back up tool and reference number 6. http://vz.to/1OgSM3j

Verizon_Customer_Support

If my response answered your question please click the  Correct Answer  button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
wvsamsung6
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am about to leave for 5 week travel stint for work, so the risk of losing any contacts or upsetting my companys software on my phone (VPN and security) is not an option right now.  It's critical that I'm able to communicate so I don't want to screw things up further with a reset.  When I did the switch from iPhone to Samsung, I backed up everything to the Verizon Cloud and lost information that, for whatever reason, were things that were not uploadable to the cloud.  (that was 2 years ago now so I don't remember what I lost at the time, but it was media-related things like pictures, videos and music)  Luckily, I still had my Apple account, where I could retrieve the missing data and pull that onto my phone separately from there.  It was a long, fragmented process that I really do not want to go through again.  I have not checked the stock messaging app because I have no intention of ever using it.  Even if it does work, it is not suitable for my messaging needs or wants which is why I used a 3rd party app.  Can you confirm that the MMS settings I've mentioned should read "Not Set"?  My APN settings do not match what is on the Verizon website as the current APN settings.  I would think that I need that to match, not only for messaging, but for other things to be working correctly on my phone. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I absolutely understand your hesitation to use a different app or complete a reset, wvsamsung6. I don’t want to leave you feeling stranded without a working phone right before your trip and I apologize for the troubles you ran into the last time you switched phones. The APN should normally show VZWINTERNET for all our devices. The suggestion earlier to start with reseating your SIM https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-153976/ would be the right place to start and it will not result in any reset your valuable information. You can also navigate to Settings > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > Menu (three dots in upper right corner) > Reset to Default. I know you have found the Textra app to be the most convenient for your messaging needs but I encourage you to try out the stock messaging app, even if only for a few minutes, to ensure we complete thorough testing and have a working phone in your hands. Please keep me posted on how the messaging is working after these steps.

JenniferH_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!