Software version G900VVRS2DQD1- Startup (Custom) problem
WILHAR60
Enthusiast - Level 2

Configuration Version J13.SAM.SMG900V.1

Ever since this OS update, the phone doesn't start up easily after being shut off overnight. When it does, it shows Samsung "Custom" Start Up. I saw in an earlier error message that a "Custom" start up could make the phone unstable. I haven't customized the OS in any way. After it has started up once, it can be turned off and on without trouble. It is only after long periods of being turned off that the problem occurs.

Sometimes the startup stops at Secure Fail: Kernel and tells me to use the Verizon Repair Assistant. I did that two or three times with Verizon Chat standing by. I took out and put in the battery and SIM card, tried a different battery. Problem persisted. I tried clearing cache--that simply went on for hours.

So I went to Samsung Chat. They told me to stop the cache clearing and use Smart Switch to backup, do a Factory Reset, then reload. I did that--3 times. No luck.

I have no additional apps installed. I did turn off some built-in apps but there is no new customization of settings. The problem persists. What should I do? I don't know whether to take it to the Verizon or Samsung store. The Verizon Stores in my area have very bad ratings and the one where I bought the phone is out of business!

Any folks from the Glendale-Burbank-Pasadena area in Southern California? Thanks in anticipation!

0 Likes
Re: Software version G900VVRS2DQD1- Startup (Custom) problem
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

WILHAR60 We want your device to work seamlessly. I'm here to help. You have done some really great troubleshooting already and I do want to assist you so you don't have to go to the store. I have sent you a private message so we can look into this together.

AdrienneP_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
WILHAR60
Enthusiast - Level 2

Various Support personnel helped me and my wife do Data resets, Factory resets etc. but the problem persists. Ultimately, Verizon Support staff member Ralph remotely accessed the phone and said that everything was good (hardware) but the phone was rooted, ie the OS had been modified. So we looked for others who had had the same problem and found several at this thread:

Re: How do I fix my Galaxy S7 when I get the message "Device software modified"?

The problem has yet to be solved.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

You  might want to check out here and see if you can get help there

https://www.sammobile.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=826

A while back someone else had the same problem although he was able to get it fixed with repair assistant

he had some version on there that no one ever heard of  but said that he got it through an update from the phone

0 Likes
WILHAR60
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. The Sam Mobile site is a little intimidating because it asks us to download software but says it's not responsible for any damage.. We tried Repair Assistant twice. The Firmware version is the latest: G900VVRS2DQD1 as stated in the Subject heading.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

That is why it is important that you only download Verizon software. It is for Verizon phones only

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s5/SM-G900V/

0 Likes
WILHAR60
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the link. Ralph (Verizon Support) did another Diagnostic check today and says the phone is not rooted! I've turned it off and waiting to see if the problem persists. I'll record all the steps we take if I have to flash my phone and post here.