Stop killing my phone with updates Verizon
S3_Victim

I originally posted this as a reply, but am going to put it in the main discussion as I want Verizon to see it.

A few weeks ago the 4.3 was pushed onto my S3 and it pretty much killed the battery life plus all sorts of other bugs (camera flash when the phone rings despite being turned off etc.)  Took it to the store, no help other than a suggestion to download a task killer app. and do that multiple times a day (really?).  Begged tech support to uninstall 4.3, no can do they said.  Now I have to carry around chargers all the time and kill apps constantly.  The battery used to last over a day, now it can die in hours.  Of course I am out of warranty so Verizon won't help at all other than to say they know about the problem.

So when I saw the notification today about the update for 4.3 (I am assuming that means to 4.4 not just a 4.3.x update), I thought maybe they had fixed the battery drain problem. But in reading the comments here I fear any more updates.

How do you turn off updates - I was told that even if you ignore the update request or keep saying install later, it will do it eventually on its own?

Thanks Verizon for the loyalty.    I have been your customer since the beginning and now you just leave us hanging in the wind.  If I was a bit more conspiratorially minded I would think you are letting these horrible updates be pushed across so you can force us to spend more money on new phones......

0 Likes
Re: Stop killing my phone with updates Verizon
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Even though we don't manufacture the phones or the operating system, it's hard to enjoy the service we provide if your phone is dead. There is no way to reverse the update from Google for Android devices, but we can certainly help to make sure it's running as smoothly as intended. I assure you that keeping a working phone in your hand is important to us too! Do you notice the battery life is short when you've accessed a particular application? Do you happen to have any 3rd party apps that access your camera, such as Skype?

For the flash notification, double check the steps below to ensure it's turned off (since it's separate from the flash setting on your camera):
1. Go to Settings.
2. Scroll to and select My Device.
3. Select Accessibility
4. Deactivate Flash Notification

Also, check to make sure you don't have any 3rd party applications installed that trigger the flash notifications. There's plenty out there, so there isn't one in particular I can suggest to look for.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
petercount

My Device is not an option in the settings menu?

0 Likes
S3_Victim

Hi,

The flash notification is already off (accessibility section is under system not my device)  - I tried that the day it started happening.  I don't have 3rd party software doing it.  It never did it before the update and now it does.  I have to turn my phone off at night so calls don't wake me up - the screen side is bright and the other side flashes.  I see complaints about this bug in other forums on this new update so I am convinced it has resulted from that.

As for the battery life, ever since the update occurred the OS is opening tons of apps in the background (that I haven't opened).  This is another bug and is why the Verizon store suggested using the task manager multiple times a day.  I am still trying to avoid the latest update (just reminded me again now) because of all the other problems mentioned here.  I only have two chargers, so if both of those don't work I will be SOL.

Can you tell me how to stop the updates?

TKB

0 Likes
Not applicable

Updates are done if you want them or not.

Blame the maker of your device, it is not Verizon's fault as they mentioned above. Google-cell phone makers-cell providers.

Verizon and other carriers do not change the base code for the updates. They push them out to all different devices, except for Apple Devices.

Just Google it and see its not singular to just Verizon wireless customers.

Good Luck

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for checking that setting S3_Victim. Let's try a different step since it's still happening. Please place it in Safe Mode, http://vz.to/1hQURB5 and see how it functions. Keep us posted.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes