Sub-Bass not working after updating S9+ to Pie
sriramp78
Enthusiast - Level 1

Prior to OTA updating my S9+ from O to P, sound output was beautiful from the time I purchased the phone last year. Specifically, low frequency bass was some of the best I'd ever heard. Unfortunately, after updating (about 3 weeks ago), looks like sub-bass is non-functional. I've noticed this on ALL bluetooth devices I've played it on (my car, 3-4 different current model headsets/earpods etc which all support BT 1.4).
I've tried the following, with no luck:

1) 10 band EQs. Mid bass and upper bass changes DO reflect in the output, but changing the sub-bass slider has zero effect. These same apps worked quite well when the phone was on Oreo.
2) Tried sub-bass apps that previously did a masterful job on Oreo, but literally zero effect. I could hear mid and upper bass being amplified, but the sound result is muffled garbage thanks to no sub-bass change.
3) Force stopped and disallowed system permissions for Samsung's Soundalive service, and then played with EQs and sub-bass booster apps again. No change.
4) Tried the above with all available bluetooth codecs in developer options (i.e. aptx etc). Same output quality
5) Played with the built-in eq and controls in Soundalive (i.e. enabling/disabling Atmos, adjusting the bass-boost dial in standard sound settings, and upping the bass frequency sliders in the advanced mode), and no difference whatsoever with low-end bass.

I haven't yet tried with a wired headset (mainly because I can't find the stock earbuds Smiley Mad) , but I plan to as soon as I can find them.
There's been zero physical damage to the phone from the time I purchased it, just fyi, and as mentioned, the output difference was clear from the moment I updated to Pie. I also did a full factory reset a couple of days ago just in case any old apps were causing interference with DSP, and unfortunately the same result.

Has anyone else experienced the same after updating to Pie?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Sub-Bass not working after updating S9+ to Pie
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know how important it is for all of your Settings to work a you need them to, sriramp78. To clarify, is the Sub-Bass still available on your phone, it is just not working correctly?

EllisandraC_VZW

If my response answred your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for you help with this!!

0 Likes
sriramp78
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the sub-bass sliders from other apps etc are still available on my phone, but they have no effect. As I mentioned, using those same sliders as well as increasing the bass using the builtin Samsung  SoundAlive equalizer DID increase the Sub-bass levels when the phone was on Android O.  Right after updating to Android Pie, sub-bass was no longer audible.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate the additional details. The best route to resolve this issue would be to reach out to the manufacturer directly. In this case that would be Samsung. StanleyC_VZW

0 Likes