Suddenly cannot connect to home wi-fi network
ragtag12
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife and I both have the same problem with our GSIII's: until late last year, we routinely connected to our home wifi network; then first my phone, and a couple weeks later her phone, will not connect. We easily connect to other Wi-Fi networks.  Our laptop connects to the home network easily, so it is NOT a network problem.  I have tried power cycling the modem & the phone, removing the phone battery, removing the SIM card, clearing the cache, and removed nearly all the apps I installed or updated since this started.  I have spent HOURS on the web trying to find solutions.  We are chewing up our allotted data by staying on 4G all the time. This cannot continue but I do not know what to do next.  The Verizon rep in the store told me it was my network (of course!  That cannot be if my laptop connects just fine at home).  I would remove & reinstall my home network from the phone, but there is no option to remove it that I can find....  Sign me "at a loss & frustrated".  All suggestions are welcome!!

0 Likes
Re: Suddenly cannot connect to home wi-fi network
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want see this resolved once and for all to help you stay on WiFi at home, ragtag12! When in Settings>WiFi, are you able to press and hold on the home network details and choose "Forget Network"?

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
ragtag12
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your reply.  Neither of our GSIII's offer the "forget network" choice.  The only choice offered is "connect to network." If selected, I must fill in the password (which I never had to do before this problem began - the phones defaulted to our home wifi network whenever within range, without requiring a pw entry).  After I put in the pw, it momentarily connects, and then drops the network and goes back to 4G after about one second.  Will GLADLY take any other suggestions.  Appreciate your try.

0 Likes
IndigoFury
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the issue of connecting to my home wifi also and I had to take it in to the store and they fixed it.  It was not my network.  But they did fix it for me and I have not had an issue since. You might have to take it in to the store geek. Sorry believe me I know how frustrating it is!!!

0 Likes
ragtag12
Enthusiast - Level 2

Appreciate your input.  I have been to the store twice.  The first time they said it must be my network, and the last time they said I had to buy the Verizon Protect Plan, that gives access to Verizon's tech'l advisors - the folks in the store could not fix it.  Arggh!  Our long term average data use is 2.2 Gb / month -- we are now at 3.9 Gb, turning our phones completely off so we don't go over our 4 Gb plan limit in the 3 days remaining in this billing cycle.  This is NUTS!  Thinking of just ditching the whole nine yards - "phone-less in Seattle"!!

0 Likes
ragtag12
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem Solved: On recommendation of Verizon store rep I signed up for Verizon Protect.  Under that program technical support is provided by phone or chat.  The Protect rep went through several steps with me, without success.  So we ultimately did a full backup of my phone, did a factory reset, and then restored my apps and data.  As is usually the case, restores don't actually restore everything the way you had it, but I did not lose much, and the factory reset did solve the wifi connection issue.  So, problem solved.  Verizon Protect was very effective, easily accessed - it is a good program, though one would think you should not have to pay extra to obtain effective technical support, especially given what we pay every month. 

TomLGenV-T
Enthusiast - Level 3

The "Forget" network option is easily found by selecting your Wi-Fi connection (path: Settings>Wi-Fi>Wi-Fi Connections) that displays the Wi-Fi Connected options: EDIT/VIEW/FORGET.

0 Likes
faerie12queene

I do not have this option on the 4G.

0 Likes
brewnear

I have had this same issue and am on my 2nd Droid Maxx.  Working from home, I am never more than 30 feet from my router, and usually only 10 feet.  I have to check my phone every few hours and, since my wi-fi isn't listed, the only way I can reconnect is by powering off/on. 

I have spoken to a few on the Customer Support as well as the local store.  They have taken me through many steps & resets to no avail, tried to blame my Internet carrier (also Verizon), and the last one questioned my need to be on wi-fi since the 4g in my area is so good.  All say they've never heard of this happening. These many support pages tell a different story.

I personally feel that Verizon is not pushing to fix the issue, because the more people go over their data usage, the more money they make.  Look at some of the posting that have reported this issue for over a year.

0 Likes