System Update 23
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Has anyone gotten this new update? I have never noticed that they were numbered like this before.

It says it is a security update. I would have thought by now they would have a patch for all the

phones that did not take to Oreo so well.

0 Likes
Re: System Update 23
Hating_Phablets
Enthusiast - Level 2

Be Careful!... If you look closely it actually says Syatem Update 23"... not "System". There are several discussions going on in other forums wondering if Verizon got hacked. Granted ... it just may be a spelling error but most experts warn against installing any computer or phone update that has spelling errors because it is usually an indicator of a non English speaking country trying to trick you into install malware, spyware or a virus. At this time there has been no official word from Verizon on the spelling error. In the meantime techs and geeks alike are warning to hold off installing the update until Verizon acknowledges the update as being valid and corrects the spelling error.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You make a great point, Hating_Phablets. A spelling error can be a warning sign. We take great care to protect our customers and our network from being hacked. Thank you for replying to kathy65793 so quickly. It’s important to have the most recent software and patches. I always make sure I’m aware of the proper update before clicking “download and install.” To be sure the suggested update is approved by Verizon Wireless, please refer to our software update page http://spr.ly/6589DtBof

George_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
KeithLucy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey George_VZW,

You still didn't confirm if "Syatem Update 23" is a hack, of if it's a typo.  Either way, it's embarrassing that Verizon was either hacked or they push out an update with a spelling error.  One more reason to walk away from Verizon.

Keith

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We can understand your concern KeithLucy and definitely want to make sure we look into this matter for you closer. We would never want to lose you over something like this as it does appear to be a typo error. As listed in the previous link that was sent, the update is spelled correctly as System Update 23. We do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. What other issues are you having that has you feeling this way about us lately?

Candice_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
hiflyer5
Enthusiast - Level 2

I successfully installed SYSTEM UPDATE 23 with no apparent problems. My guess is that it's a typo.

KeithLucy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Candice_VZW,

The update is NOT spelled correctly.  See attached.   Does anyone have confirmation yet that this update is a real update and not a hack?  Just because hiflyer5 installed it doesn't mean there isn't an issue.

Keith LucyCapture.PNG

KeithLucy
Enthusiast - Level 2

vzw_customer_support​  

Might I suggest that you update the software update page (http://spr.ly/6589DtBof)​ to include an explanation of the spelling mistake?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for getting back to us KeithLucy. We will lift your feedback up to our web page managers. This update is a real update and please reach out if you have any other questions or concerns.

JoeL_VZW

0 Likes
Hating_Phablets
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just because you installed it and it "appears" to have been successful is no indication that the update was not hacked or dangerous!  FACT: Malware and spyware etc... is installed on devices so it is "not seen" nor evident to the victim. Yes, some viruses are designed to crash your device immediately... but most are designed to install and hide behind the scenes... secretly stealing data, personal information etc. Spyware and viruses are unknowingly installed by users everyday all without the poor user being any the wiser.