System Updates
Rory35
Enthusiast - Level 2

I willingly upgraded (or so I thought) from a very functional 3.5 yr old galaxy S4 mini to the galaxy S9.  It's been just over 2 years and i'm about to perform system update number 21!  I never updated the S4 and it worked great and still does, I charge it occasionally to keep as a backup or for music storage.  I understand security updates but strongly disagree with them being forced upon you and everytime there's a system update they change settings and icons and a plethora of unnecessary things.  I don't want a new phone nor do I enjoy learning what feels like a new phone.  Nothing looks familiar and it's a hassle to get accustomed to.  This is beyond frustrating and has really caused me to downright hate Samsung, Verizon and newer technology in general.  I don't know why these companies feel the need to keep up with every little niche software change industry wide but they are certainly alienating loyal customers.  I forsee a flip phone in my future, I don't need or want this type of stress in my life.  This would be like your car forcing you to perform maintenance on it, only your phone isn't likely to kill someone if neglected enough.  Anyone who thinks all this garbage is "needed" should pick up a dictionary or take an english class!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: System Updates
bearone21
Legend

s4 3 1/2 years old? 

i bought my s5, new in the fall of 2014, took it oos in 2015 to replace with note5 because the s5 wouldn't connect to most apps + still on 5.0.....6.0 killed wi-fi.

not to be rude but not a big surprise that the s4 won't update.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can see how keeping your phone updated can seem like a hassle, Rory. However, your devices software needs to be updated in order to keep up with important changes in the security of your device, and the information that you store on it, The updates also are sent out any times there is an improvement, or a fix to an issue that may have been found during prior updates. If you prefer not to update the device, you can also always select the option to not download the update, and the device will stay at the software version that you are accustomed to.  AlfredoR_VZW

0 Likes
Rory35
Enthusiast - Level 2

No my s4 didnt force me to update and I loved it.  The S9 forces them and it's a hassle!

0 Likes
Rory35
Enthusiast - Level 2

Security updates are one thing, changing icons, settings and reactivating apps that i've disabled are another.  I still prefer they wise up and use the term "suggested" vs NEED !  These are not needed and you are incorrect, the updates CAN NOT be avoided! 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I completely understand that you may find these updates inconvenient, Rory35. Please keep in mind that Verizon Wireless does not create, manage, or force any software updates. This is all designed by the manufacturer. We recommend reaching out to Samsung if you have any issues. Here is a link to their support page: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/mobile/phones . We simply provide service for talk, data, and text. We can definitely do what we can to help with adjusting to new updates. Please tell us what issues you are having after the most recent update.

MarshallP_VZW

0 Likes
Terific
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was told you should always get the updates, so I do - no question.  My husband and I have the exact same phone and have had for 2 years (S9) and have had minimal problems UNTIL... we got the last update.  Now our service is not the same - dropping calls, can't answer calls - so frustrating.  I've called Verizon and now they are saying we have less than optimal service in our area and need to use Wi-Fi calling.  That's all well and good as long as I'm in the house - and not the entire house (we lose signal and drop calls if we walk to the other end away from the router)!!!  According to some other posts I read, Verizon is aware the update caused some problems, but they didn't tell me that when I called!   What are they not telling us???

0 Likes
Terific
Enthusiast - Level 1

For those of us who did get the update and are now having problems, can we 'undo' the update?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Terific,

Thank you so much for bringing what you have experienced to our attention as well. Updating software on the phone should be an easy task with enhancements that will help improve the experience with your device. I am concerned to hear that was not the case with your phone but we will look into this further. Do you notice the issues that you are experiencing happening when you are outdoors? How far away do you have to be before you start to get better service? Did none of this happen before the update at all?

CandiceH_VZW

0 Likes