Text messaging tones
Hazel_Eyes_4_U
Contributor - Level 2

Can you use different text message tones for diffrent contact? I got the Samsung 9 and you can‘t do that. Thinking about returning the phone and getting the 8. Or should I just wait and see if they put an update for th Samsung S 9?

0 Likes
Re: Text messaging tones
Bruce27u01
Contributor - Level 1

Sorry to disappoint you, millions of Android users who received the recent update lost the ability to add text message tones to their contacts using the native Contacts or Message app. You might want to try a third party message app. Google your issue and you will see tons of disappointed customers.

Hazel_Eyes_4_U
Contributor - Level 2

There is a section on the phone you can add but it just won't let me add my own ring tones.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hazel_Eyes_4_U, we are sorry to hear that you are not enjoying those personal tones. With the update to the Oreo software, while the option is listed it is not available within the factory installed messaging applications. Some customers are selecting to use third party messaging apps so that they may use those tones. We hope for an update in the future that will provide this option. 

Follow us TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response registry . This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!  

LorenB_VZW

Bruce27u01
Contributor - Level 1

0 Likes
Bruce27u01
Contributor - Level 1

How far in the "future" do we have to wait for an update to fix this issue. This has been going on for weeks and thousands perhaps millions of Android 8.0 users have expressed disappointment and furor over the fact that this important feature was removed. Now we are force to wait until sometime in the "future" or use third party apps when the feature should have been left alone in the native app. Perhaps its time we switch to iPhones.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We value your feedback, Bruce27u01.I also like to have different alert sounds for certain people in my life.  The software is working as designed and at this time which means we do not have any details regarding a change that will allow this to happen in the future. 

TamaraH_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Hazel_Eyes_4_U
Contributor - Level 2

My cousin and her husband showed me that you can use your own ring tones for text messaging. I know I loaded all my songs. I guess I did something wrong.