Text & notification tone acts up & quits
Jezza819
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had the S3 for about a month and in the last two weeks or so the text notification tone has been acting weird or not even working at all. I went to zedge to get the tone I used on my previous phone and installed it and it worked fine. The phone started vibrating when texts came in even though it was not checked but I could live with that.

A couple of weeks ago I got an app to disable the ascending ring tone that comes standard on the S3 and then is when the trouble started. Sometimes I will only get the vibrate, sometimes I will get both, but most times I will get a brief vibrate & tone and not the whole thing so it's very easy to miss.

About the same time I got the ascending phone app I also got a battery notifier app to alert me when the phone was fully charged. Once the trouble with the notification tone started I tried various things to see if it would fix it. I changed back to a standard tone instead of the downloaded one. I uninstalled both apps, rebooted the phone but nothing has fixed it.

What could be wrong?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Text & notification tone acts up & quits
tpolley
Enthusiast - Level 2

if i understand correctly, i had the exact same problem. i have a short tone set to play when i get a text message, maybe it's a second and a half long. when i would get a test message it would only play half of the tone. maybe 3/4 of a second. it would cut off the last half of it.

i did a google search and found that others had success with disabling the setting that deletes old text messages. i think it automatically deletes messages after so many days or so many hundreds of text messages. anyway, go into your text message settings and disable that. i did, it fixed my problem.i think whats happening is when you reach that limit, when you get a message it deletes the oldest message and in doing so it somehow disrupts the playing of the tone.

let me know if it works for you.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get to the bottom of this Jezza819. Try enabling safe mode here http://vz.to/Ub4xKz , use a native tone and test. Of successful, this means there is another 3rd part application causing this issues. If you are unsuccessful please backup and reset here http://vz.to/P99gi5 . If you need any additional assistance please send me a DM me your mobile number. Thank you.

Tominque B.
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tpolley
Enthusiast - Level 2

if i understand correctly, i had the exact same problem. i have a short tone set to play when i get a text message, maybe it's a second and a half long. when i would get a test message it would only play half of the tone. maybe 3/4 of a second. it would cut off the last half of it.

i did a google search and found that others had success with disabling the setting that deletes old text messages. i think it automatically deletes messages after so many days or so many hundreds of text messages. anyway, go into your text message settings and disable that. i did, it fixed my problem.i think whats happening is when you reach that limit, when you get a message it deletes the oldest message and in doing so it somehow disrupts the playing of the tone.

let me know if it works for you.

0 Likes
Jezza819
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes that was my problem too. Once I unchecked that box I haven't had any problems with it. For some reason I haven't been able to get back into here to report the fix until I responded to your link in my email.

0 Likes