Trouble with 4G and other issues after latest update.
AlphaDanger
Enthusiast - Level 1

To whom it may concern,

After the recent update I have been having the following problems:

I lose 4G in many places where I was receiving great 4G access before.

Battery life seems to have suffered a little, this may be due to 4G hunting.

New software applications were installed like the Caller ID app, and flipboard. I hate when software is installed without my authorization and then cannot be removed. What year do we live in Verizon?

I have heard on this and other forums that a factory reset does not resolve these issues but Verizon claims that it is the final resolution. We should not have to do a factory reset after an update. I understand that there are many variables to consider with all the apps out there but that is what testing is for. That is why we wait for updates from Verizon.

I will attempt a factory reset to resolve my issues. If this does not resolve the issues I will be contacting Verizon about a refund for the 4G access that I am now being denied.

Thanks

AlphaDanger

0 Likes
Re: Trouble with 4G and other issues after latest update.
askewview

Apparently some people are reporting that disabling the Caller ID bloatware resolves the issue.  I have yet to test this but to disable it do the following:

Goto Settings > Application Manager

Scroll to "All" and find the application "Caller Name ID"

Select the app and click "Disable"

Again I haven't tested this fully because I am on a Network Extender at home.  I will see if it helps with my issues when at work tomorrow.

0 Likes
ferdd3

It didn't work for me.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey AlphaDanger!

The year is 2013 and I read you loud and clear on wanting to make sure your software operates smoothly on your GS3. So, let's make that happen.

Right off the bat, thank you for the details as well as considering a hard reset. But, I'd like to make another recommendation if you have yet to do it. Instead, I'd suggest wiping the cache partition. To do this:

1.) Power off your phone.
2.) Simultaneously hold the volume up key, home key, and power key.
3.) When it vibrates, release only the power key.
4.) When you see the Android recovery menu, wipe cache partition using the volume down toggle and power key to select.
5.) Then select "Reboot System Now".

Please let us know how this goes.

EvanO_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
gagaya
Enthusiast - Level 2

I reinstalled previous firmware using odin and my GS3 back to normal for 4G lte.

0 Likes
rich__f

I just tried this I will report if it is still dropping the data connection.

Rich

0 Likes
rich__f

It did not work almost immediately data was stalling out again dropping out completely and going into 3g.  Please verizon help with this issue!!!!!

0 Likes
rich__f

Thank you for at least trying to help.

0 Likes
Jtudor

HAving same issues. Pulling sim just seems to have lost me 4 g completely. But perhaps I shouldn't complain bc my data is actually working...also I disabled caller name id before sim removal and now that app doesn't even show up in app manager anymore.

0 Likes
ajcctech

I have been doing some testing with this latest update for the split screen and more. After performing the update on 2 Verizon and 2 Sprint Galaxy S3's, found the same problem on all 4 phones with no 4G, . I ended up using Odin to flash the phone back to the previous release of Android released in March which is downloadable from Samsung. And... you do not need to root the phone. After doing this, the 4G issue is fixed and the phone will work exactly as it did prior to the update that broke 4G. You do need to be tech savvy to do this and will need to backup your phone prior to doing this as it will be returned to stock with no apps or data on it.

0 Likes