Unlocked S10e Android updates?
jmi383

Hi,

I have an unlocked S10e that I brought to Verizon in December (specifically because I heard Verizon had good support for carrier-unlocked phones).  I have not received an OS update since February.  Is this normal?

I see online that Verizon has continued releasing monthly updates for S10e phones, but I'm assuming these are only for carrier-locked devices; my unlocked phone is still working on a security patch level from Feb 1st.  Is this expected, or is there some issue with the phone not pulling the updates?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unlocked S10e Android updates?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Samsung is responsible for pushing all the security updates on all models either unlocked or carrier branded. The carriers like Verizon Wireless and others will notify their customers when updates are available for their carrier branded phone models. The carriers don't post updates on unlocked models. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you checked the Samsung website for the status of the update for your phone model? The update and any notification for the update would come from Samsung. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jmi383

Interesting...so the S10e updates posted by Verizon (https://www.verizon.com/support/samsung-galaxy-s10-e-update/) don't get pushed to all S10e phones on the network?  

I'm having trouble finding any official update information on Samsung's website.  Searching my exact model number brings up a list of firmwares on a "SamMobile" website, which seems unofficial but trustworthy.  The most recent firmware listed on that site is Feb 2021 (matching what's on my phone).

It sounds like this is a question for a Samsung forum, if they are responsible for pushing security patch updates and not Verizon.

Thanks

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Samsung is responsible for pushing all the security updates on all models either unlocked or carrier branded. The carriers like Verizon Wireless and others will notify their customers when updates are available for their carrier branded phone models. The carriers don't post updates on unlocked models. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning, and thank you for reaching out to us today, jmi383! You have great concerns and we would be more than happy to help you today. We want to make sure we are understanding your correctly this way we can provide you with accurate information. You currently have a Verizon device but not service with us, is this correct? 

0 Likes
jmi383

Hi,

My scenario is the exact opposite - an unlocked device (purchased unlocked through a retailer) being used on the Verizon Wireless network.

The exact phone is a Samsung S10e, model # SM-G970U1.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jmi383, we would recommend that you contact the device Manufacturer regarding any potential updates for your device. Open Development devices will require a software update from the Original Equipment Manufacturer. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand your concerns regarding the device and receiving the updates for your device. With this being an unlocked device you may need to use the software assistant tool. Here is a link to complete the steps for this process https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-80200/?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D03455018072153363663355995208...

0 Likes
jmi383

Thank you for the info.  I was unable to get the software upgrade assistant tool to work with my phone; in step 4 of the linked instructions, the "Next" button stayed grayed out, no matter what USB settings I changed on my phone.  It seems that the tool never recognized that my phone was connected.

HOWEVER, while I was playing around with different settings, an update was actually pushed to my phone (NOT as a result of anything I did, it was just made available OTA).  So it appears that this is a delay in the update release, not some issue with my phone.

While I'm still a little annoyed that I'm 1-2 months behind in security updates, it appears this is a topic for manufacturer forums, and this thread can be closed.

Thanks

0 Likes