Update 29 Killing Battery on my Samsung S7
Lbishel
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did System Update 29 yesterday. Since that time my phone has been running hot and the battery has just tanked. For example, usually at lunch time at work my battery is about 85%. Today, with no usage, it's at 44%.

I did device maintanence. I cleaned memory twice -- each time the system turned things on again. What do I need to do to prevent a fire and have battery access? Help!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
Re: Update 29 Killing Battery on my Samsung S7
bearone21
Legend

with every update you need to go back in & check everything from notification, doze, , screen timeout, etc.

on 2 updates i've had my ringtone changed.

ktaki
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm facing the same issue after I got the Update 29 on my S7 a few days ago.  The battery has been draining 2x~3x faster than it used to.  I'm hardly using the phone while this is happening. 

Battery Usage indicates the follwing:

• Android OS: 66%
  • Android System: 19%
  • Screen: 4%
  • Phone idle: 3%

Based on that it appears that it's not a particular app which is draining the battery, but I'm not certain, not an expert.   If I turn on the Airplane mode, my phone looks to go back to the normal battery usage.

I tried wiping cache partition, which did not fix the issue. 

Thanks!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know how important it is to have a working battery. Please click the link provided to run a device health check, and share your results. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-206364/

JoelD_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Update 29 Killing Battery on my Samsung S7 Edge
Kevinch
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the exact same problem.  Up till I did this update, I was able to pull my phone of the charger at 5:30AM when I leave for work, go all day at work with streaming music for maybe 4-1/2 hours, go home & still have battery remaining when I go to bed at about 9:30PM.  Now, with no usage at all - no texts, no calls, no streaming - nothing - I have 18% at 2:15PM.  I've gone through the menus & shut down what I could, reduced the screen to HD, shut off all my apps with exception to FitBit (which it tells me uses 0% per hour), & under Device Maintenance>Battery selected "MID" ...& this is the result.  The only option is to go MAX under BATTERY, which practically turns the phone into a paper weight.  This is the 2nd day of this & I can't find a solution.  HELP!!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your battery after installing update 29 on your S7. I appreciate you providing us with your Battery Usage information so we can get a better idea of what's causing this. Does your phone have any physical or liquid damage? Apart from the battery, have you had any other issues on your device?

JesusG_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kevinch, long battery life is very important to ensure that you can use your device when you need it most. We are here to work toward a resolution. Have you noticed any changes that stand out on the device after the software update? Please use the steps on the following web page https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-206364/ to run a device health check. Did you get any alerts for the battery?

DavidC_VZW

0 Likes
Kevinch
Enthusiast - Level 1

DavidC_VZW: I did this twice.  Did not receive any battery alerts.  Did get alerts for Performance (Security & Privacy & Wi-Fi calling) & Storage (Storage, temporary files).  Everything else lookes fine.  I've gone through the menus again & done everything I know to preserve battery in the Display & Device maintenance menus.  Battery usage indicates Android OS @ 46% & Android System @ 8%.  

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kevinch, we understand how a fast draining battery can put a drain on your day. Keep in mind the age of the phone does play a huge role in the battery life. Our final recommendation will be to save/backup your information and complete a factory data reset. For tips, visit http://spr.ly/6609Ej5ZH You can also contact Samsung at 800-726-7864 for additional tips.

TrinetteW_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Update 29 Killing Battery on my Samsung S7 BUT ALSO PHONE JUST SHORT OF CATCHING FIRE
jb964
Enthusiast - Level 1

Noticed battery drain after update. A few days ago screen went dark while phone still on, screen display had turned itself down to total darkness mid text. Crome has crashed 3x today. Then while charging (car charger-same one I've used for months), heat warning came up. Phone so hot I could barely get case off before, hot potatoing it into Verizon store (Royally burn me hot). Thought it was going to catch fire. They ran diagnostics on phone not finding issues.  Was supposed to get tech call, but I was stood up.  I am outside my warranty and upgrade available (I don't want a new phone, I want the phone that was functional prior to this upgrade). I was told that phone may not be able to handle the update.   The phone has gotten hot before, but nothing like this.  Store replicated issue (not even as hot as it was for me) on wireless charger.  Hotter around edges, then moved to back of phone.  Verizon guy saw odd "triangle" on display below tiny icons just below icon bar at top of phone screen.  It was there when phone was heating up.  What is going on? I'm afraid of my phone.

0 Likes