Re: Update 4.1.2 deleting large blocks of text following backspace correction
devedsmith
Enthusiast - Level 3

If the phone's dead, what's the point of a keyboard? Really.

0 Likes
devedsmith
Enthusiast - Level 3

2 to 3 minutes? You do know it's a phone not a typewriter, yes? Cramp-up much? 2 to 3 minutes of typing takes about 5% of my battery - which NEVER happened before this most recent update. Priorities need to be seriously realigned, people.

0 Likes
MySIII
Contributor - Level 2

Just because texting and having a faulty keyboard isn't important to you, doesn't mean it's not important to others so don't come and bash people on this thread about texting and how much they do or don't text.  Fyi, it also removes text while writing Emails and any other text input. These phone were meant for "Multi Media"  You already started a battery issues thread, stick to that one if that is your only issue with the update, but yes the battery life has been diminished also as I commented on your thread. Bump your thread to the top for more attention, but leave the posters on this thread alone.

lnh

You're not alone. I type pretty fast and this was extremely frustrating!!! This is just obviously someone else's attempt at seeing what other's are experiencing. Clearly if they had the same problem, it would be irritating. I'm just happy I'm not having the battery issue as well!!

0 Likes
wanttofish
Contributor - Level 1

Both the keyboard & battery are key functions of a smart phone. Both ahould be working properly. I'm glad my battery is working fine. With the keyboard, I called Verizon & Samsung 3x each. Only one time did I get a person at both that heard of this keyboard problem. So they DO know about it. Lers hope something is done a out it real soon.

0 Likes
devedsmith
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually, I also started this thread: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/795750

Sadly, not much going on there either.

0 Likes
smx

Having the same problem. Funny thing is, the phone only seems to do it when it's a longer message. I've used the correct feature in many 1-2 liner texts and it works, well...the way it should.

That said, I've had the phone a total of four days and I'm almost ready to return it at this point. Somewhat glad to see it's a software issue—hopefully they fix it.

0 Likes
DrBaltz

I'm honestly dumbfounded that more people aren't complaining about this.  As soon as the 4.1.2 update completed, auto correct broke on text messages, native email, Good for Enterprise email and basically anything else that let's you enter text with the Samsung Keyboard.

Typical Verizon though.  Takes them 100% longer to release firmware updates for their phones and when they finally release one, it is extremely buggy.  Still baffled this didn't get caught in QA or in any soak testing.  BIG problem.

BTW, I did factory reset my phone and it didn't fix anything.  Shocker....

0 Likes
wanttofish
Contributor - Level 1

Everyone,

I have this typing, text deleting problem since the pushed over the air update about 3 weeks ago. Before that, my gs3 was perfect. I've done everything upto and including a factory reset and getting a replacement phone and it still happens. Verizon told me this is a known problem and a software fix is planned for release in early june. In the mean time, verizon said to use the swipe keyboard instead of the default samsung keyboard that I was using and see if it continues. I don't like the swipe keyboard. Other than that, good luck to everyone with this very annoying problem that is not our fault. Verizon fix this already!

0 Likes
MrVisionary
Enthusiast - Level 1

Found a potential fix!

It looks like it replaces the Samsung keyboard with the Swype keyboard, but all seems to be working just fine so far (ie. not deleting large blocks of text when you go back to autocorrect a previously misspelled word.) (BTW, you don't have to use the swype motion, you can still type regularly with this keyboard too)

Follow these instructions:

1. First open settings.

2. Then open application manager.

3. Swipe left twice so you are on the all tab.

4. Find the app called Samsung Keyboard and click it.

5. Click clear data and push OK.

This worked for me.  Let me know if it works for you! 

All the best!