Update issues
Scott9
Enthusiast - Level 1

My phone updated on Saturday and since then I have two major issues.

1) The battery life is horrendous. I can only go about 4 hours without a charge.

2) When away from wifi the data continuously turns on and off and I am often left without the ability to use my maps or other apps.

Does anyone have any ideas to eliminate these issues?

Re: Update issues
wkavan02
Contributor - Level 1

I have been experiencing similar issues with my SGS3 since the update as well, in addition to my phone's performance being absolutely horrendous.

For the data thing, here's what I did:

1) Go to Settings

2) Under the "Wireless and networks" category, select "More settings"

3) Select "Mobile networks"

4) If the item "Network mode" says "Preferred network mode: Global," select it and switch to "LTE/CDMA"

Doing that stopped the constant data disconnect/reconnect issue for me.

As for the battery life thing, I don't know what to tell you. I had been having terrible battery life before the update, so I got a Morphie Juice Pack case for my device a couple months back.

0 Likes
rwilliav123

I have the same problems.  After the first update my phone started flashing and my battery started dying.  After the one the other day, my phone is heating up and I go through 3 batteries a day.  There are two explanations for why Verizon would do this.  1) Get us to buy new phones before our contract is up.  That might make sense except so many people are upset with Verizon over this judging by these emails.  2)It is just massive incompetence (I don't know if it is Samsung or Verizon).  That is, they would do these updates and not test them, just put them out.  That might make more sense.  But the bottom line is, if they have done this to my phone, the remedy is simple, let me start a new contract early (12 days in my case) and choose another phone (I will never touch another Samsung product of any kind). 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

An update should only improve your device Scott9! I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. The suggestion from wkavan02 is a good one for mobile data. As far as the battery life, it does sound low; however, it can vary based on usage. Have you tried a full charge with the device powered off? Is this battery performance happening in all locations?

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
Zerdup
Enthusiast - Level 1

Vz, thanks for your response.  If you do a quick search, the internet is full of 4.4.2 Galaxy battery issues.  It's a common problem with this update.  In my case, the battery hog is "Android OS", which again, is fairly common among the many Galaxy users seeing battery problems.  The android forums are full of identical reports, are you not getting reports directly at Verizon? My phone was working previously very nicely, before this update.  From the time this update occurred, my battery life can get as bad as using 20+% per hour (!!!); from a 100% charge sat night, it will be down to single-digits around 5am (if and only if I use a task killer to kill almost all running programs first, otherwise it dies much sooner).

I guess the big question here is: do Verizon and Samsung think there's a battery life problem that's been introduced widely into the Galaxy phones with the 4.4.2 update, or do you think it's just a few isolated users?

I_dRatherSpeakWithAHu
Enthusiast - Level 3

My battery started mysteriously overheating to the point that the charger would cut off, lest it create a fire hazard.

The store rep suggested I turn off background apps, but these never diminished battery life in the same way.

I suspect 4.4.2.  I bought a new OEM battery (made in Korea) and things seem to be almost back in order.  For now.

0 Likes
randroid1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just adding myself to the "not happy" list!

I have done all suggested fixes but I still have:

Worse battery life since the KitKat update,

S3 is not as "snappy" or fast like it used to be, it's like my first android!

Random reboots

I don't care who's at fault for the poor update but Verizon is in control of what and when we get it so PLEASE HURRY UP on the 4.4.3 or 4.4.4!

0 Likes
I_dRatherSpeakWithAHu
Enthusiast - Level 3

Coda: I did a Factory Reset and it got rid of the %!#$$@^ "Android.process.acore stopped" bug, which may have survived earlier updates.  That's a silver lining.  I did get a new "Google.process" bug, but it seems rare.  I can live with it.

0 Likes