Re: Voicemail pauses when I put phone up to my ear
tsmith35x
Enthusiast - Level 3

I guess Verizon support gets points for every response they make, hence the plethora of useless responses they continue to add. "Do you have internet access?" "Is your battery charged?" "Wipe out everything on your phone, do a factory reset, fully charge your battery, then let us know if anything changed."

This is akin to having a car without working headlights, so the mechanic suggests checking your fluid levels. If that doesn't work, he says, charge your battery and try vacuuming the trunk. If that doesn't work, try washing and waxing the car. Something's sure to fix it... 😕

0 Likes
tsmith35x
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wouldn't it be a good idea to test voicemail on one of the new Galaxy S8 phones with similar apps installed and see where the problem resides? The issue seems pretty well defined and affects many customers. I recently had Sprint service, and though their coverage was poor, at least I could listen to my voicemails on their app. Now I have a new phone, Verizon service and voicemail that I can only listen to on speaker... ???

0 Likes
tsmith35x
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, perhaps I was being a bit harsh, but I keep having flashbacks to the old days when the last thing tech support would suggest is inserting the factory reset CD and rebooting. It just shouldn't take this much effort from so many people to get working voicemail.

tsmith35x
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, I've been doing some experimentation on my Galaxy S8 and found something very interesting:

If I set voicemail to auto-play, then open a voicemail and hold the phone up to my ear, the display turns off (as expected) and I can continue to listen to the voicemail. If I pull the phone away, the screen comes back on. If I then hold the phone back to my ear, the display BRIEFLY turns off, then comes back on DIM. At that point, the voicemail pauses.

I've tried changing many display settings to see if anything affects it, but I haven't had any luck.

I messed with Samsung Pay as well and found something very strange... If I turn on Favorite Cards for "Screen Off" and leave Lock screen and Home screen off, then play a voicemail, the caller's voice turns into some kind of acid-tripping echo. Really weird! I then turned off the Screen Off selection during playback and the phone speaker made a static-y "pop" and playback stopped. Very bizarre.

0 Likes
tsmith35x
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did some more experimentation and found something interesting: when Samsung Pay has ANY of the Favorites screens enabled, it definitely messes with voicemail. I am using YouMail, which experiences the same issues as Verizon Voicemail, and I found that enabling any of the Favorite screen options would result in voicemails that won't stop playing, voicemails that pause when the phone is held up to my ear, and so on.

Fortunately, I found an option in YouMail that allows me to disable turning off the screen during playback, so I can listen to my voicemails, albeit with the display turned on. There is no such option in Verizon Voicemail, so I guess I'll have to continue to use YouMail *AND* leave Samsung Pay Favorites turned off.

If Verizon can figure out why Samsung Pay is messing with the display and causing voicemail playback to stop, they'll probably be able to fix it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@tsmith35x  Being able to listen to our voicemail is a priority. Our apologies that this situation has been ongoing. We're currently working with Samsung to find a solution to this issue. We strive to provide the best. I can assure you that this issue will get resolved.

Workaround: Issue can be recovered by exiting the application and re-launching it. Please note that downloaded apps like "Next" could also cause this issue. Please try it in safe mode and check.

Reference:

https://nextlockscreen.uservoice.com/forums/276546-known-issues/suggestions/7082636-cuts-off-voicema...

0 Likes
xxxxxxxcc
Enthusiast - Level 2

This worked for me. In Samsung Pay i had Favorite cards disabled (Use Favorite Cards). However, under Manage Favorite Cards, 2 of my 3 cards were selected. I never would have found this on my own. Thank you!

0 Likes
DANSLO26
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have this same problem. It started on my S6 edge and still happens on my new S8+.  This is frustrating

0 Likes
rifenbc
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the S8 with Samsung Pay and had the same issue (voicemail pauses when phone is placed to ear).  I read this thread and turned off all "Use Favorite Cards" options in Samsung Pay.  The voicemail started working fine.  Then I went back and turned the options back on one at a time.  The voicemail continued to work.  Don't know if the voicemail will continue working, or if flipping the options corrected the problem... but obviously they are related.  Verizon, try obtaining a new S8 with Samsung Pay enabled to reproduce the issue.

0 Likes
JoelCool
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, a lot of us have done that.  If you don't have to don't restart the phone as it will likely go back to the problem.  😞

0 Likes