When Can We Expect the Next Security Update for Galaxy S9 snd S9 ???
TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

The latest VZW firmware update for the Samsung Galaxy S9+ includes Android security updates dated 1 February 2018. Since then Google has released updates dated 1 March 2018 and 1 April 2018 -- I fully expect a third update to be released on or about 1 May 2018 as Samsung is committed to providing monthly security patches. WHEN CAN VERIZON WIRELESS CUSTOMERS EXPECT THAT THESE UPDATES WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION?!? other carriers already have pushed out updates.

Modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
Re: When Can We Expect the Next Security Update for Galaxy S9 snd S9 ???
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I find it totally unacceptable to purchase a phone and have the OEM aka manufacturer not follow through with their commitment to monthly security updates. Thankfully I don't have this problem as I chose to not purchase a Samsung or LG or Motorola or other similar manufacturer's phones.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

Google Pixel devices do not fit my needs, nor does constantly touting them as THE solution answer the question at hand. The OEM has in fact released monthly security updates for the current Samsung devices including the Galaxy S9 and S9+. Verizon and Samsung just need to get them to the consumer in a timely manner.

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

https://www.androidcentral.com/are-googles-pixel-phones-better-samsung-galaxy-ones

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand what it’s like to wait for an update, TheS1R. Updates involve the carrier, the manufacturer, and the OS owner. Each time a change is made, it has to be tested fully. Different networks operate differently, which explains why some carriers get updates sooner than others. You can always check for the latest updates here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/software-updates/

GeorgeS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

@GeorgeS_VZW Given that the manufacturer (i.e., Samsung) releases security updates which include OS (i.e., Google Android) updates the first day of every month (Samsung Mobile Security), it appears that you are saying that the issue is with the carrier's integration and testing process. The URL that you provided confirms that VZW has the updates from Samsung as more recent updates are available from VZW for other Samsung devices such as the Galaxy S8 and S8+. What is the schedule to provide these same AND HOPEFULLY NEWER updates to Galaxy S9 and S9+ owners?!?

BTW, I know multiple ways to check for the latest updates which is why I know that VZW is not providing their customers timely updates.

TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

More OPINIONS which are irrelevant to my original question...

TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 edge have now been updated as of 19 April to include the 1 April 2018 security patches:

Software Version: NRD90M.G930VVRS4BRC3

Android® Security Patch Level: 2018-04-01

Software Version: NRD90M.G935VVRS4BRC3

Android® Security Patch Level: 2018-04-01

@GeorgeS_VZW What is the issue with the Galaxy S9 and S9+?!? Why the delay?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TheS1R, being able to take advantage of software updates when they are available is very important. At this time we don't have any information on when the next update will be available for the Galaxy S9 and S9+. GeorgeS, provided some great information on where you can stay up to date on each device most up to date software version. I hope this helps.

JustinB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Ragi
Enthusiast - Level 1

The lack of concern from Verizon about patching Android devices is very disturbing. Samsung needs to force carriers like Verizon to release security patches as they become available (Apple is updating their devices as they see fit without going back to the carrier) what Verizon wants to do is release more bloatware and advertising.

Verizon is putting Oath bloatware like Go90 on its Galaxy S9 phones - The Verge