When a lot of people talk in a groupchat, all messages will say new mms message to download and will take up to 30 minutes to come through
dvaness322
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a galaxy s9+ that has a very annoying problem with messaging. Normally, group chats work just fine but when a lot of people are using a group chat to text at the same time, my phone will stop receiving the texts and a bit later suddenly I will get a bunch of notifications saying "New mms message to download" all at once coming from many different people. I have to go into each persons contact in messages and click "tap to download" and even then it can take 10-20 minutes for the text to download and they will come through out of order from what they were actually sent in. Even if I restart my phone and then try to download the messages they won't always download. Usually I just have to wait for 10-20 minutes for it to eventually download the ones it was working on and then I can click tap to download and it will try to download the other texts but it can end up having the problem where the messages wont downlaod agian and it overall ends up taking 40 minutes to get all the texts to download. I use the google messages app currently but I remember having the same problem with the built-in Samsung messages app. Screenshot_20200827-221817_Clock.jpgScreenshot_20200828-190238_Messages.jpgScreenshot_20200828-192150_Messages.jpgScreenshot_20200828-203240_Messages.jpgScreenshot_20200828-203344_Messages.jpg

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: When a lot of people talk in a groupchat, all messages will say new mms message to download and will take up to 30 minutes to come through
JBDiGG
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure if this has been answered yet... But no verizon person has been able to help with this for me. 

Here's what I found.

https://www.verizon.com/support/verizon-messages-legal/

Section 4 limitations.  Verizon can block and throttle messages at their discretion.  This only happens for me when my group mms between friends gets live. Messages are flying back and forth and something on verizon's end picks it up as spam or their network is not as good as they boast and they start throttle my messages.  Hope this helps. We should all complain about this... Cause there is nothing wrong with the phones or the software.

If it doesn't happen on their verizon messages+ app then seems like a pretty despicable move to force people onto their app. "Use ours or get throttled!"

It is verizon throttling their network causing the issue. Case closed.

View solution in original post

Re: When a lot of people talk in a groupchat, all messages will say new mms message
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dvaness322, 

We can understand how frustrating for you. Let's get a few more details. When did this start? What message application are you using?

JenelleW_vzw

0 Likes
Re: When a lot of people talk in a groupchat, all messages will say new mms message
dvaness322
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have noticed this happening a lot since a week ago. I am currently using version 6.4.044 of the Google Messages app.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate the details. Can you please share a screenshot with us here of the 'new MMS message'?

0 Likes
dvaness322
Enthusiast - Level 3

  

20200902_204906.jpg

20200902_204853.jpg

This was a block of texts that showed as 'New MMS message to download' from my friend "B" that eventually came through

Screenshot_20200902-205852_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20200902-205900_Messages.jpg

These screenshots look different because I was trying the default Samsung messaging app to see if that would fix my problem but it didn't.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you very much for sharing all these important details. Please make sure that all apps on your device and its software are up to date. After that, please let us know if the issue has is corrected.
GeovannJ_VZW

0 Likes
dvaness322
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have made sure my phone and all apps are up to date and I am still experiencing the problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for making sure all is up-to-date. Let's get a few more details. It sounds as though your messages are essentially unable to keep up after so many messages come though. Which Galaxy S series device do you have? Did your device go through any type of update before this issue started? Have you tried deleting that group chat thread in order to see if that behavior continues if the thread starts anew?

0 Likes
dvaness322
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the galaxy s9+. The most recent update I can think of was the system update to software version G965USQS7ETH1 back in August. I tried deleting the group chat thread to see if that would help and it did not, I am still experiencing the issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dvaness322, we are not giving up yet. Can we have you try to reset the network settings in your device? This link will walk you through how: https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-216818/

ChristineK_VZW

0 Likes