Re: When we will get Android 7.1 Nougat for the Galaxy S7 edge
tinner72
Enthusiast - Level 3

The reason they aren't releasing it is because there is no upside for them to do it. Normally they wait for the new version of the phone to be out so that impatient people year after year upgrade the phone instead of just updating the operating system. Don't get me wrong I am one of those impatient people. But I will not go buy a new phone just have the new operating system. Verizon is ridiculous when it comes to their updates. The sad thing is all the complaining isn't going to help anything. They will only worry about it when other companies point this out and use it to lure their customers away. They only worry about their bottom line.

0 Likes
tlamming
Enthusiast - Level 3

That’s what we are trying to figure out. Why would anyone be okay with how things are being handled? All that we can think of is to garner favor here to be a “super user” or some other unsaid benefit.

tlamming
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yep, all updating a current phone does is create more tech support calls for them, not to mention the cost to roll it out. They’d rather keep the new features to sell new phones.

0 Likes
PRS2ARCHANGEL
Enthusiast - Level 2

Question is - and I have been wondering this myself - is who is truly to blame? Samsung or Verizon? I know I have talked about this in multiple threads - heck even The Tech Times put out an article that Verizon was getting a lot of flack from users because of not releasing the upgrade.

Now, last I knew, the cycle is as follows...Samsung builds it with their stuff...sends it to Verizon who installs their stuff...then comes the question...do they send it back to Samsung to drop it OTA? Or does Verizon push it OTA? Last I knew, Samsung dumps all the completed firmwares for the carriers...

So - once again despite my frustrations with this and trying to be a voice of reason for really frustrated S7/S7 Edge Verizon subscribers It leads me to the following:

1. I don't mind if Samsung / Verizon wants to take extra time to be sure Nougat is right after the Note 7 mess.
  2. Who actually is holding up the process?
  3. Why are they holding up the process?
  4. Why are they not communicating with their customers?

So Where Do The Fingers Get Pointed?

0 Likes
EvlNvrDys
Contributor - Level 1

Well the only input I have left is this release must be really buggy. And I only say that because unlocked versions overseas are now getting the update.

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/03/01/nougat-now-rolling-out-for-the-galaxy-s7-and-galaxy-s7-edge-in-...

Verizon is just being nice by holding it back... smh. I guess they just don't really care. we'll get the new Google Assistant update before we get nougat.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

It goes like this:

1 Google publishes the Android source code to the AOSP repository

2 Samsung (or whoever) pulls the new version and adds in their modifications... Basically the UI, in this case known as TouchWiz, then builds it to work on whichever device ID being updated.

3 bugs rear their ugly heads and Samsung does what they can to squash them

4 (this may happen in conjunction with #2, but probably happens after Samsung is happy with their build) Verizon (or other carriers) tell and/or provide Samsung with any apps they want to include

5 update is pushed to carrier test devices for network testing and for the carrier to sign off on the update

6 carrier gives Samsung a list of changes they may want and/or additional bugs they may have found

7 Samsung modified build if needed

5, 6, 7 repeat as needed until Samsung and the carrier are satisfied

8 carrier pushes out OTA

This is specifically for carrier versions of devices, unlocked devices and, I believe, devices in other parts of the world don't have additional carrier steps, mostly because the OEM sells the devices and handles warranty issues, even if devices are sold in carrier outlets. In the US and, I believe, Canada, carriers purchase the devices in bulk and resell them to customers and they are the ones who handle warranty claims.

donsmith1964
Enthusiast - Level 2

In this instance, where 3 of the 4 major carriers have released a version for the phone and it is being released world wide, and is the current flagship Android phone, you would think Verizon could communicate something.  A simple:  We have identified issues and are still working to have them corrected" would be appreciated at this point.  We have all provided money for phones and service to Verizon.

tlamming
Enthusiast - Level 3

Right, so whos incompetent, samsung here or verizon? I think more of the discussion is why there is no communication on the subject than anything. If they were having such a hard time with it, I think everyone would be fine if there was any sort of transparency at all. Instead, we have a couple people here who'd rather tell people how dumb they are for being mad at not getting the service/communication that they pay for.

PRS2ARCHANGEL
Enthusiast - Level 2

I guess the bottom line to this is that Verizon needs to say something to their customers as to what the hold up is and why. 

I don't think that is too much to ask, and I think it would be in their best interests to save face over this.

SLOULY86
Enthusiast - Level 3

I totally agree with you,  Verizon needs to say something,  we are CUSTOMERS  and we deserve to be treated like a CUSTOMERS.

This is one of the the many reviews that Verizon has with customers.

Horrible, horrible company. I cannot tell more about how they are careless and rude and liar with customers.