Why Is My Samsung GS5 Android 6.0.1 Having Battery Issues?
shear_brad
Enthusiast - Level 2

I updated the software on my Samsung Galaxy S5 from G900VVRU2DPF4 (Android 6.0) to G900VVRU2DPG2 (Android 6.0.1) on 11/6/2016. Since then, I have had several issues including a much shorter battery life, longer charge time, and much slower performance. All of these occur with background apps closed. I have wiped the system cache and reset the phone.

The performance issue is noticeable when typing and/or using swype in various apps, moving between screens, and loading new screens or apps. There are also several apps that have much more lag now. Something interesting I've noticed- all of those performance issues go away and the phone acts normally when I go into airplane mode.

Which...brings me to exhibit A- see that attached screenshots. This is a sample run I did yesterday while i was not using my phone very often. You can see that "cell standby" and "android system/OS" took up 35% of my battery each- 70% total! You might notice that all of those numbers only add up to 83%. I would make an educated guess that the remaining 17% was also used by OS-related apps.

And that brings me to my question(s)- when is Verizon going to fix this? I don't mean the OS, because that's on google. I mean vetting software for performance/battery issues before pushing them to their phones. AND adding an option to defer a software update indefinitely. AND allowing users to drop back to a previous software update when they have issues.

Screenshot_2016-11-15-06-47-29[1].png

Screenshot_2016-11-15-06-47-23[1].png

Screenshot_2016-11-15-06-48-10[1].png

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung GS5 Android 6.0.1 Issues
shear_brad
Enthusiast - Level 2

It looks like the issues have been fixed by running a factory reset. I had to back up all of my data and restore everything afterwards, but the phone seems to be working normally again.

View solution in original post

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Have you cleared the cach partition on the phone since the update? (if you hold volume up,home button,and power button at the same time you will get to a screen that one of the options will be to clear cache partition use the volume down key till that is highlighted then hit the power key to confirm then use the down volume key to say yes and hit the power key again then just reboot.) This should help a lot but if it doesn't you may have to do the dreaded factory reset in that same screen.

0 Likes
shear_brad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes I have- that's what I meant by "I have wiped the system cache and reset the phone." It did not help.

Also, I'm hearing from people that my phone is sending text messages multiple times.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

It is a shame that there is so many problems with these updates.I had a perfectly working phone (S5) before all these updates came out.My problems started back in may. Unfortunately the marshmallow has a bootloader that is locked and you can not go back to another version.My phone was so bad during this Note 7 fiasco that I could not use my s5 to hold me over while they straighten this mess out.It got to the point that my s5 just died and would not start for almost a month but now last week it just started up and has been working like nothing ever happen.Of course its not activated but I am still able to use it on the net and some of the apps on it.I honestly wish they would level with us what went wrong with this update.I have talked to Verizon and Samsung and nothing but the standard shut down reboot and the wipe cache and reset is all they offered. Hopefully they will come out with a patched that we will be able to download and fix this 

0 Likes
shear_brad
Enthusiast - Level 2

It looks like the issues have been fixed by running a factory reset. I had to back up all of my data and restore everything afterwards, but the phone seems to be working normally again.