Why are notifications disappearing
DyerWolf
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here's what happens. I'm using Verizon's own messaging service Messages+

• Text comes in
  • Notification in status bar appears
  • Don't touch anything
  • Notification disappears

Now there is no way to know a text has come in (had I not been looking/listening)

THIS IS CRAZY! Verizon - what is going on?

Re: Why are notifications disappearing
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DyerWolf

All I do is text. If my text messaging didn’t work, I may as well have no phone. I understand how important this is to you. I’ll be more than happy to assist you. Are your phone and all of the apps installed up to date on their software? When did this start happening? Besides the notifications being gone, are the message still there for you to view? On the home page of the message+ app, where you see all of the threads if you hit the three lines at the top left, select settings>notification, is the popup option and  the "mark as read on close" enabled?

Edward_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

DyerWolf
Enthusiast - Level 2

- Everything is up to date

- After the Oreo update

- Yes, the messages are still there

- Pop-up option is off as I do not use this feature. "Mark read on closed" is therefore also off.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DyerWolf,

Thanks for confirming those details with us. What you're experiencing with the notifications is really strange. Let's dig a little deeper. Are the notifications for the app turned on when you go to main device Settings > Notifications > Message+ as well? We want to be sure there isn't a conflict happening between the app and the phone. If the notifications are turned on in the phone's settings, please reset the app by following the steps shown here https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-211228/ . Resetting the app will remove any customization(custom tones, themes, etc.) but will not delete your messages. Let us know if this works for you.

Shawnte_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DyerWolf
Enthusiast - Level 2

"Thanks for confirming those details with us. What you're experiencing with the notifications is really strange."

Is it? Have you googled the issue and seen all the complaints online?

"Let's dig a little deeper. Are the notifications for the app turned on when you go to main device Settings > Notifications > Message+ as well? We want to be sure there isn't a conflict happening between the app and the phone."

Yes, they are turned on.

"If the notifications are turned on in the phone's settings, please reset the app by following the steps shown here https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-211228/ . Resetting the app will remove any customization(custom tones, themes, etc.) but will not delete your messages. Let us know if this works for you."

I did this but the problem remains

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the additional information. We are not giving up, DyerWolf! Is this issue with the notifications happening all the time? Do you have your messages+ synced with another device? Tablet or computer?

Abraham_VZW

0 Likes
DyerWolf
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am glad you are not giving up!

It does not happen all the time. It does happen most of the time. I can't seem to find a reason why it does or does not happen.

I do have a smart watch, but I've had that for a year and it's never cause a problem. I very occasionally use the desktop version of Message+ on my computer. Its startup launch feature is disabled though so it only opens if I open it.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DyerWolf

Thank you for that information. Let's continue digging. Can you please uninstall the Verizon message+ application, see here https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-210394/. Once that has been removed can you try using the native messaging app that is on the phone. The first time you open the app, it may ask if you want to make this one the default, please do so. Once that has been completed let us know if the issue continues in the native app.

Edward_VZW

0 Likes
cdkarlsson
Enthusiast - Level 3

Has there been no new information regarding this?  I'm having the same issue as the original post.  I am using Message+ on a Samsung Galaxy S8+.  Sometimes, I can even watch the notification disappear before my eyes while I'm looking at the notification bar!  When the notification disappears, the badge on the Message+ icon also disappears, so it's as if I had cleared it myself.  Opening the app shows that the message is still unread.  On a few occasions, the notification has reappeared several (somewhere between 5 and 60) minutes later!

I don't have a smart watch, nor do I use the desktop version of Message+; I do sometimes use Pushbullet for Windows, but this happens when my computer is not even turned on (like when it just happened to me 10 minutes ago), plus I've used Pushbullet for almost two years with no issue.

If I had to guess, I'd say this issue started happening sometime in the past couple months, but I can't be sure.  I haven't tried uninstalling Message+ yet because I'm afraid I will lose texts, images, or videos when I do so.  If I can be assured that I will not lose anything, and that if/when I choose to reinstall the app, all messages will be back to the way they were before uninstallation, then I will give it a try.

evancg
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had a similar problem to this and resolved it, but can't say it's the same thing causing the problems anyone is posting here.

I use Nova Launcher. For some reason, it was clearing notifications as soon as the popup disappeared (for whatever notification it might be - if it used a window shade style notification, once that cleared, the notification cleared).

I went into my phone settings, changed my launcher to another launcher (in my case, the LG Home launcher), then back to Nova Launcher. Somehow, that resolved my issue.

I doubt this will resolve the issue for everyone, but hopefully it at least helps out a few people.