Why can't I disable 5G on S22
ekulzards
Enthusiast - Level 1

I want to disable 5G on my new S22 but I don't have the option to in my settings. 

Apparently this is specific to Verizon. 

Why is Verizon preventing me from changing these settings? I want to disable 5G.

Can someone please provide an answer. 

Labels (1)
Re: Why can't I disable 5G on S22
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ekulzards, thank you for reaching out to us. We are here for your support. There is no option to disable 5G from your device. Why are you looking to disable this network from your device? 

-Sylvia

SaltyS21U_User
Contributor - Level 3

Can you say C-O-N-T-R-O-L?

Salty... Oh, yes I am!!
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's possible the option to disable 5G was removed because Verizon is trying to offload as much Internet traffic as possible to 5G. Especially in crowded concert and venue locations, and in the city. The more they can offload to C-Band and mmWave, the less LTE And low band have to worry about.

The problem causing 5G to be slower than LTE is specific to how 5G functions in some instances. Older phones cannot aggregate multiple 5G bands together, which puts their performance in the same ballpark as a first generation LTE phone. Not all of Verizon's towers have 5G on them. Your nearest tower may be 4G only, while a further away tower is 5G capable. The phone may be trying to connect to both the further away tower via 5G, and the nearby tower via 4G, and the signal is too weak for the 5G to help. That is also a tuning problem, which Verizon can solve over time, but which can be solved by continuing to upgrade the network.  

The S22 is a phone that can aggregate multiple 5G bands so, it should perform better than older phones. 

Snwydvl
Enthusiast - Level 1

Bc you constantly switch me.from a 4 bar 4g service to less than 1 bar of 5g and the service is awful and doesn't work.  

SaltyS21U_User
Contributor - Level 3

@smith6612

Like I said, but in a very short statement... 

C-O-N-T-R-O-L

Salty... Oh, yes I am!!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

For any questions, or concerns regarding your service. Please feel free to send us a Private Note for further assistance.*Angel

0 Likes
Nursstacy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been trying to figure this out since December.  I called Verizon and got no where. I called Samsung and they advised me to change providers.  I have been using a phone that looses charge after 1/2 hour for months because I don't know what to do.  I am not an Apple fan, but they allow you to turn off 5G.  I am angry with Verizon and Samsung.  If I pay for a phone then how dare they disable a useful function in the phone I paid for.  I live in the sticks and we do not have 5G, therefore 4G is best for me. 

Nursstacy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Agreed.  If you purchase a phone then you should have all functions you paid for available.  How dare they turn off my choice when the $1000+  will come out of my pocket.  

Tkav
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is absolutely a pain in the buns. I get 4 hrs of streaming music before I have to charge my pran new phone. I get playback errors. My phone gets hot. I hate it. S22 less than 2 was old and I'm ready to throw it in the trash. It's constantly trying to get on 5g draining Mt battery. I live in a rural area where 5g is spotty at best.