Why can't I update my S3 to Jelly Bean
troy_mcmeans

I noticed last night that Jelly Bean is out for the S3. I went to Settings -> About Device -> Software Update -> Check New. Every time it "checks" I get the answer "service unavailable". So I called Samsung and they confirmed the current software for S3 is 4.1 (Jelly Bean) but I still have 4.0.4 After spending some time on the forums I saw that maybe I should factory reset my phone so that when it initially does its setup it should look for the most current software...well it still only has me at 4.0.4.

I then called Verizon this morning and they told me exactly the reverse of what Samsung said, which is that the update comes from the manufacturer. So I live chatted with Samsung again this morning to confirm. They said that software updates are done OTA (Over The Air) and that is sent through service provider.

So now I am in between two answers that seem exactly the same and I don't know what to do. Another option I saw on this forum was to go get a new SIM card. I don't mind doing that if that is the only way to get my update....it's just I'm hoping there is an easier way to accomplish this before I have to go all the way to a verizon store to get an update that I shouldn't have any problem getting in the first place. What am I missing here, what do I need to do?

Thanks

Troy

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why can't I update my S3 to Jelly Bean
mrsdawg2
Contributor - Level 1

Get a new SIM card...that is what worked for me!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mrsdawg2
Contributor - Level 1

Get a new SIM card...that is what worked for me!

0 Likes
troy_mcmeans

So this morning I went to a verizon store and had them put a new sim card in it. BINGO! As soon as it boot up it started downloading new updates. Thanks.

0 Likes
mrsdawg2
Contributor - Level 1

Troy,

That's great...I am glad it worked for you!

0 Likes
CoolGeorge
Enthusiast - Level 2

With all the bugs that appear to be in the new update (4.1.2), you may wish that your device had stayed on ICS.

0 Likes
KD6MTZ

stay on ics.. 4.1.2 junk ! turned my phone into junk.. time to find another rom.

0 Likes
lnh

You do NOT want the update... It's a ***! Unless you prefer to lose all of what you type after pressing the space bar, time and time again. It's a <Deleted>. Wishing it hadn't come across my phone  --ever!

<Post edited for profanity per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes