Why does backup assistant Keep failing to sync?
SWVZ
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is another thread on this topic.  Verizon has apparently tagged it as "answered," but it has not been fully answered.

The other thread is backup assistant plus lost network connection(36). please try again.

I agree with the original poster in the other thread that this problem started about the time of the last system update,  08/21/15. However, besides Backup Assistant failing to sync, I've discovered that once Backup Assistant attempts to sync, I lose all internet access through WiFi connection, even though my phone shows a strong WiFi signal.  I am only able to regain internet access through WiFi if I "reset settings."   The downside to this is that I have to reset my wallpaper, ring tones, font size, etc..... and that only lasts a day until Backup Assistant tries to run again.

I have not found any way to disable or remove Backup Assistant on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S4).  Even if I switch to Verizon Cloud as suggested by VZW representative EbonyR_VZW, how does this solve my problem with Backup Assistant?  Backup Assistant will continue to attempt to operate once every day, meaning I would then also have to "reset settings" every day.  Backup Assistant is listed as an "Account" on my phone, but I've also found no way to remove this feature by accessing my account online.

This issue needs further guidance from VZW.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Backup assistant plus lost network connection (36). Please try again.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Help is here SWVZ! I can definitely address those wifi concerns. With the use of the older Backup Assistant service for contact sync only, wifi was not permitted as it went over your mobile number and therefore required use of the mobile data network (although data usage incurred as a result of the sync would not go against your mobile data allowance). Once we built the contacts and Plus together into the Cloud, it allowed wifi to be an available option for the contacts portion as well. So long as you have cleared the data on the Sync Services and do not attempt to re-sync using the Backup Assistant, the service shouldn't attempt any scheduled syncs (as the sync schedule should be cleared and not setup) and wi-fi should remain connected. The Verizon Cloud application is the best option to use with Lollipop although the Backup Assistant Plus hasn't been removed completely from the devices to allow transfer from Plus to the Cloud without losing any content.

Hope this helps!

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ace780

SWVZ -- thanks for pointing that out. Agree we still need some guidance from Verizon. You could try what I did and Backup Assistant Plus has stopped "backing up" my contacts:

Go to Settings -- More -- Application Manager -- All

Find Backup Assistant Plus and Clear Cache, Clear Data, and Force Stop.

Do the same for Sync Service.

Now my backup assistant plus doesn't run anymore. However, I haven't had the issue you mentioned about losing internet connection and having to reset settings. I have noticed at times a bit of a lag sometimes but I don't think that's the same issue.

Also, have you tried Verizon Cloud for backing up your Contacts? That worked for me. You can also use Verizon Cloud for backing up other data as well (e.g. photos, documents, etc.).

@EbonyR_VZW -- can you please assist in answering SWVZ questions as well as my other question in the other thread:

How come Backup Assistant Plus was still trying to run after the recent Lollipop update and how do I turn it off or get rid of it?

Thanks.

0 Likes
SWVZ
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response.  I haven't activated Verizon Cloud yet because I wanted to get this issue resolved first.  Regarding disabling Sync Service:  After I posted this thread, I found a similar comment on a non-Verizon android forum.  I have disabled Sync Service and I'll wait until tonight when Backup Assistant was previously scheduled to sync, to see if disabling Sync Service effectively deactivates Backup Assistant Plus.  If it does, then I suspect that will remedy my WiFi internet connection issue as well.  But as you said, I would feel better if I could dump Backup Assistant Plus off my phone altogether, and I wish VZW would respond to that point.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Help is here SWVZ! I can definitely address those wifi concerns. With the use of the older Backup Assistant service for contact sync only, wifi was not permitted as it went over your mobile number and therefore required use of the mobile data network (although data usage incurred as a result of the sync would not go against your mobile data allowance). Once we built the contacts and Plus together into the Cloud, it allowed wifi to be an available option for the contacts portion as well. So long as you have cleared the data on the Sync Services and do not attempt to re-sync using the Backup Assistant, the service shouldn't attempt any scheduled syncs (as the sync schedule should be cleared and not setup) and wi-fi should remain connected. The Verizon Cloud application is the best option to use with Lollipop although the Backup Assistant Plus hasn't been removed completely from the devices to allow transfer from Plus to the Cloud without losing any content.

Hope this helps!

EbonyR_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ace780 - Great question! I have your answer. Since the Backup Assistant Plus was still on a sync schedule prior to Lollipop, the service remained intact after Lollipop. You can clear the data for the Sync Service, Backup Assistant+ and any other Backup Assistant apps listed in your All list in the Application Manager to permanently stop the sync. For now, the option does remain in the phone to allow the transfer of content from the old Plus service to the Cloud without losing any backed up content.

EbonyR_VZW

0 Likes
SWVZ
Enthusiast - Level 2

EbonyR_VZW, thank you for your timely response.  I believe that I have correctly disabled Sync Services.  I'll see what happens tonight, since Backup Assistant Plus was previously set to sync during the overnight hours.  If all goes well, I'll mark your response as "correct answer" tomorrow.

0 Likes
bofcarbon1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon messed up this up. Backup Assistant Plus stopped working. Has not been doing backups. Older phones and operating systems this all worked. I switched phones and Verizon backed up everything. How the heck can we be progressing with technology and software while simple backup of data goes backward with Verizon. Its gonna reach a point where you have to find ways to hack saved data to an external card and forget Verizon altogether. It is clear that the attempt was to trick people into using Cloud Premium. Makes me sick.