Why does my phone hate me now?
Tmbruner

Since getting a forced update this morning, my phone has spontaneously rebooted twice and demands that I use connect the dots method to log on. Why is my phone so belligerent now?

0 Likes
Re: Why does my phone hate me now?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you please provide your phone model?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tmbruner

Samsung Galaxy 6

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tmbruner,

Let's bring the love back to your phone.  Has your phone been fully charged after the software update?  Have there been any recent 3rd party apps downloaded?

EmmaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tmbruner,

Updates should improve your phone not damage it. Let's look into this more. What have you done so far? Did you check your settings to make sure the proper mode is selected?
JasperM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Tmbruner

1. Yes, I turn my phone off and fully recharge it every night, and typically recharge in the car on the way home from work if I think to do so. The phone was fully recharged when the update was received, and has been fully recharged several times since.

2. No, I have not added any new apps in recent memory. Updates to existing apps occur fairly frequently. I don’t remember if there were any updates at the same time as the system update, but don’t think there have been updates since. Bottom line: no NEW apps in months.

By way of bringing the problem up to date, it spontaneously rebooted four times yesterday. However, on the up side, no reboots so far today.

For what it’s worth, I do not like being forced to use the connect-the-dots logon method on initial startup. I think this is less secure than fingerprint method and runs the risk of someone getting the pattern right and so obtaining access to the device. I’d like to change that, but haven’t figured out how to do so yet.

Tom

0 Likes
Tmbruner

1. I have not tried to do anything so far, I have no idea what I’m supposed to try. That’s why I went to the forums.

2. No, I have not checked any settings. My assumption is that after a system updates settings would be preserved to the extent possible, and any changes would be clearly specified. Are you suggesting that there is a setting for “randomly reboot device”? Where would I find this setting because I certainly do not want the random reboot feature enabled.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tmbruner, we will get this working for you so you can enjoy your phone. You will be able to change the lock screen by going Settings>Lock screen and security>Screen lock type>Select the type of lock screen you would like.
Let’s also clear the cache partition. With the phone off, please hold onto the power, home, and volume up. Once you see “recovery booting” in the top left corner, release all the buttons. You will be taken to the recovery menu. You will use the volume up/down button to highlight the options and the power button to select. Select “wipe cache partition” and then “reboot system”. Please let us know how it works.

ZangY_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The last thing that we want is for you to be frustrated by your system update. The new software is meant to enhance your device not hinder it's behavior. It sounds like the new software is combating some of the downloaded application software. That is the most common reason for a device to reboot itself like you are describing, unless of course you dropped your phone in a wet or dry place. Have you updated the software on your downloaded applications?

0 Likes
Tmbruner

I tried to respond to this before, but it came back undeliverable.

1. The screen lock type is correct. What I don’t like is that it requires me to do something different on initial startup. I can choose any of several things, but none of them are fingerprint. After I use the different method I can use fingerprint until the next time I restart. I don’t see how this level of security is warranted in my case, I do not keep any information that would be worth the effort of bypassing a fingerprint-only regime.

2. I have since noticed that the problem occurs only when using Bluetooth device to listen to a stream from iheartradio. I have contacted iheartradio and they make no committed statement. The problem may be them, or Bluetooth, or the two in conjunction. I have started ruling out iheartradio by using earbuds instead of Bluetooth, but have not done so long enough to know with certainty that that is the problem.

Tom

0 Likes