Why does my phone say I'm on 4G when I have Wi-Fi activated?
Murph5150
Enthusiast - Level 2

Before I updated to KitKat, my 4G/3G indicator would go away when I turned on Wi-Fi.  Why do both my Wi-Fi icon and 4G icon stay on at the same time?  How can I be sure I'm "truly" on Wi-Fi and not consuming data?

Re: Why does my phone say I'm on 4G when I have Wi-Fi activated?
Beem3r814

As long as you're connected to a router, you're using wifi and not your data plan. I guess it's just showing what cellular data connection you have regardless. I saw the change as well. If you're concerned check your My Verizon data usage prior. Then download something small while on wifi and then check it again to see if it changes.

0 Likes
Murph5150
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, so I guess I'm not alone.  I called Verizon last night and they could not provide a concrete answer (which I thought was odd that tech support was unaware of this), so I took my question to a few Android websites.  Still waiting on answers on the forums.  I suppose I'll just have to be vigilant and keep an eye on my data.  I'll post an answer if I get one.

Not applicable

Another thing you can do is turn off cellular data in your phones settings. This way you know you are using WiFi

Good Luck

Not applicable

If you go under Settingss then About Phone then Network under Mobile Network State it will say Disconnected if you're on wi-fi also the IP address will be that of the local network which will start out 192.168.

But if you want to be safe just turn mobile data off. if for some reason your wi-fi got disconnected you be back on mobile data and not know it.

0 Likes
Julian_G
Enthusiast - Level 3

I feel like another issue with this is the screen real estate that is taken by the two icons. With bluetooth, vibrate, etc already on the status bar, we really don't need an icon saying "If you were going to get off wifi, there will be 4G,"

0 Likes
clarence2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I notice that the WiFi is "white", like all good KitKat icons, instead of White for connected with no internet, and blue for fully functioning.

The 1x right next to it seems very dim.  If I turn off WiFi, the 1x gets bright white, and has the up/down arrows under it.

If having the icon on my status bar all the time means that I actually will get data when I leave WiFi, then it's a winner.

I "hotspot" a lot, and I used to have to make sure I had a data connection and launch the hotspot before I got on a phone call, because the only way to get it to connect was to power cycle the phone.

-- Clarence

0 Likes
SamsungGuy602
Enthusiast - Level 2

Check and see if you are using an app called City ID.  If so, it can cause both icons to appear at the same time. You may be doing a 30 day trial of the app... exit the trial and the dual icons will no longer appear.

0 Likes
Julian_G
Enthusiast - Level 3

Even with City ID disabled, the 4G icon remains. This is something new to kitkat. SamsungGuy602, do you have kitkat and no longer have the 4G icon on when you are on wifi?

0 Likes