Why doesn't insurance cover a cracked phone?
DANKEN76

I have been paying insurance for years without a claim. My phone slipped out of my hands the other day and the screen cracked. I looked up my plan and I pay for full coverage. They are saying I have to pay a $199.00 deductible. What is that about? That is almost half the cost of the phone! The S8+ is a nice phone, but I think that is a little outrageous and gouging the consumer. I didn't even drop it on cement. It was on soft wood and I have a protector around most of the phone. Seems to me that this is a quality issue with the manufacturing of the phones nowadays. It is as if they want phones to break so they can fleece their customers out of unnecessary money.

0 Likes
Re: Why doesn't insurance cover a cracked phone?
rcschnoor
Legend

Insurance does cover a cracked phone. You simply have to pay the deductible as you would with ANY insurance claim. That is how the insurance works. You pay the monthly premium and there is a deductible for any claims you make. If you are unhappy with how the insurance works, you should discontinue it and simply self insure yourself. All that means is that you purchase another phone if yours breaks or pay to have it fixed out of your own pocket.

Self insuring is exactly what I do and have saved several thousand dollars in premium payments over the last ~25 years of cellular usage with only TWO times where I have had an instance where a phone had broken. That includes one cracked iPhone screen I paid for on my daughters iPhone last year and another phone which happened to get trapped between me and the sheet of ice I fell on about 15 years ago. The quality of manufacturing of the phones I purchase appears to be just fine as they normally seem to last for as long as I want to use them without any problems.

rcschnoor
Legend

DANKEN76 wrote:

They are saying I have to pay a $199.00 deductible. What is that about? That is almost half the cost of the phone! The S8+ is a nice phone, 

The S8+ currently sells for $840. A $199 deductible is not even a QUARTER of the cost of that phone, let alone "almost half the cost". When you had stated it was almost half, I had thought Verizon possibly dropped the price, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

bearone21
Legend

$199 not even close to 1/2 price of the phone.

"quality issue"....you dropped the phone!!!

0 Likes