Re: On Galaxy S7, play store application updates do not work over Wifi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TheMetallikid, we want to get to the bottom of this. I'm on the case. Can you try to restart in safe mode and then try to update through wifi then and let us know what happens? The steps are as follows:

With the device powered on, press and hold the Power button (located on the right edge) until the Phone options prompt appears then release.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Touch and hold Power off until the Reboot to Safe Mode prompt appears then release.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tap RESTART.
Note The restart process may take up to 45 seconds to complete.
Note Upon restart, Safe mode appears in the lower-left of the unlock/home screen

JosephT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Bama704
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issues as reported here.  I bought the S7 yesterday and once I brought it home it will connect to wifi, i can browse the internet on wifi, but the playstore will not update or download.  No error message.  I took the phone back and exchanged it hoping this would fix the issue.  Guess what...?!  Same problem.  The playstore will not update/download on wifi while i am at home.  While on a public wifi, it will work just fine.  My wife's S6 works just fine though...

bhl62
Enthusiast - Level 2

Safe mode and system cache wipe did not help. Lots of people reporting this problem on other forums also.

0 Likes
Themetallikid
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have not tried the safe mode yet, but the cache/data wipe I tried earlier

today with no success. I'm curious how this is even missed during testing

of the phone? lol....pretty hilarious. Good quality control...

0 Likes
bhl62
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is hilarious!  Just for giggles I connected my phone to my VPN while at home everything started working.  Disconnect, it stops.  I also notice that the icons in the main play store page load very slowly when the problem is seen,  and fast when it works.

So,  does this mean my network is too fast and it works only when slowed down (802.11ac router,  160+/12 Mbps Internet connection)?  Sheesh!

0 Likes
Bama704
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just fixed my problems with not being able to update/download over wifi. 

Settings -> Application manager -> Google Play Store -> Permissions -> turn all on -> Force Stop.

All my problems are fixed.!

pherson
Champion - Level 1

This s a where is my phone post but now that I have it it was rushed to the market

0 Likes
Themetallikid
Enthusiast - Level 2

This worked for me... seems to be fine now. Try this.... settings ->

Application manager -> Google Play Store -> Permissions -> turn all on ->

Force Stop

I didnt come up with it, but not sure it was posted. My settings were a

bit different but could still follow enough to get it working.

bhl62
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried enabling permissions (essentially turning on Contacts and Locations which are off by default) but that did not help on two phones. I used the VPN workaround to update both phones.

Incidentally, I also found that Google Maps wasn't downloading any maps either without the VPN and some others have reported issues with YouTube, so we are probably looking at a shared network service that all the Google Apps (and VZ Cloud) use. Another forum poster reported that changing the DNS also helps which could explain why my VPN workaround works.

0 Likes
bhl62
Enthusiast - Level 2

Looking at the empirical data, DNS certainly looks like a probability. Using my VPN probably bypasses the internal DNS and uses the DNS from the router/Comcast. Looked at DNSet which was used successfully by a poster in another forum to change the internal DNS and noticed that it also works by setting up a VPN, so that strengthens that observation.

This however doesn't answer the question of why it works on public wifi networks, so is there a combination of DNS + WPA supplicant settings at play?

0 Likes