Why is my S6 Edge using Verizon Data while on wifi?
ashleigh316ctx

I am on a Verizon family plan with 10G of data per month for 5 people. Four of these people are iPhone users and the 5th has a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. Although behavior patterns appear the same for each user- the Edge user consistently uses FAR more data than the iPhone users. For example, today is 4/18/16 and our billing cycles started on 4/08/16 the iphone users cumulatively used .451G and the Edge user has used 3.758!! The edge user is on wifi when at home (usually between 9pm and 8:30am) and on wifi when at work (between 9:30am and 4pm). What I find even more troubling is that this past Saturday on 4/16/16 the Edge user was at home on wifi between 12:00am and 9:00am yet I show Verizon data usage during this time (2:21am- .01480, 8:20pm- .57051). This should not be happening!! The edge user joined our family account in August 2015. Previous to that he was using only 3-4 GB of data per month on T-mobile’s plan using a Sony xperia z3. Last month he used over 9 on his own on Verizon with his Edge.

0 Likes
Re: Why is my S6 Edge using Verizon Data while on wifi?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Data usage is always a point of concern, Ashleigh316ctx. Let’s look further into the usage and also a few settings on the device itself. Here is a handy link that will show a breakdown of what the data is being used for, for the line in question. Please click here: http://vz.to/1gjp7dj With the connection to WiFi but data still being incurred, we can check to see if the Smart Network Switch is turned on. With this setting, it allows for a streamline connection that provides the best connection possible. With this being turned on, the device can be connected to WiFi but automatically switch to the data network. Please go from the Home Screen to Settings, WiFi, tap More, then Advanced. From here you will then see if the Smart Network Switch has been turned on.

ChrisM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ashleigh316ctx

Chris-

I checked the Edge's settings and the Smart Network was already turned off. This means we were incurring data charges while smart network was turned off AND while on WIFI.

Previous to contacting support (you), I had already looked at the data usage page. It appears helpful at first glance. However, the Edge user currently shows that 47% of his data is being used by Web and Apps. When I look at the breakdown of the Web and Apps it shows 19% of his data usage is from Lifestyle & Interests. When hovering over the help tool- it shows that that category is made common destinations that have lifestyle and special interest contest such as expedia eharmony eonline disney nbc sports web MD opent able delivery.com group Kmart ESPN and NASCAR. I know for a fact the user does not use any of these websites OR apps with the exception of open table which is maybe used once every other week. Certainly not enough to account for the data usage he is eating...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your efforts are greatly appreciated and I understand your discontent. Let's dig a little deeper, I will be sending you a Private Message.
AyaniB_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ashleigh316ctx

I was sent a private message only asking to verify my identity. I did so and then received no further response. It's been nine days since I sent the ID verification on 4/20....why is verizon not addressing my concern?  We are now nine days out from the end of our billing cycle and AGAIN the same user of the x6 Edge is using 65% of our data. All the while I know roughly 95% of the time he is on wifi  because he is connected either at home or at work.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure that we do all that we can to address your concern ashleigh316ctx. After all, we take pride in making sure that your data usage is accurately reported. May I ask have you receive our private message yet? Is so then we encoiurage you to do so to proceed.

ArnettH_VZW

0 Likes
ashleigh316ctx

If you read my previous post you would see I acknowledged that I did get a PM on 4/20 and responded to it within 2 hours. However, I have not yet received another response back.

The conversation went as such:

Verizon 04/20/16 9:02am- In an effort to access your account, please verify your full name and wireless number

Me- 04/20/16 11:04am- (Insert my name here)- 785-XXX-XXXX. The (Edge) wireless number in question is 913.XXX.XXXX

me- 04/29/16 9:25am- Nobody has responded to my concern in 9 days...

Still no response from Verizon on the PM

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

My Samsung Galaxy S4 is running Lollipop 5.0.1, but, the two phones and OSs should be similar enough.

In SETTINGS ->DATA USAGE, the phone should break out data usage.  Is that what was checked earlier on?  If not, what does the phone show?

0 Likes
ashleigh316ctx

Hi Dexman- Unfortunately I am not the Edge user- my fiance is. Verizon's only suggestion so far has been to ensure that the Smart Network Switch feature is off. We did confirm that the feature is and always has been turned off.

I would assume that Settings>Data usage would show what apps are using which data. I will have us look into that (although he's fairly techy and I would assume he's done so already). I would think the apps he uses the most are the News app that personalizes stories for you and his email app "Inbox' by gmail.  Are there specific apps which are known to use cellular data while on wifi? My biggest concern at the moment is that Verizon shows 'data usage' in their logs at times I know for sure the phone has been on wifi all day long.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Google related apps seem to be the biggest data eaters on my phone. Under the data section, I've restricted the biggest user to Wi-Fi.

Going 1 step further, I switch off 4G/LTE when at home and at locations where I trust the Wi-Fi service. This helps keep me from vaulting over my limit of 1G.

0 Likes