Why is my battery draining after the update?
bdyglve88
Enthusiast - Level 1

After I updated the software last week, my phone has increased in temperature and the battery drains in 3 hours, even if the phone isn't being used. I've tried turning off the wireless on the phone when I am traveling in my city but the battery drains so quick after the update.

Is there any fix for this? This is causing a huge problem and I don't want to carry a charger with me everywhere I go.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why is my battery draining after the update?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Another thing to check is the mobile network, i.e., settings > more networks > mobile networks, then ensure that Network Mode is set to CDMA/LTE/EVDO and not Global.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know the importance of having good battery life bdyglve88. I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. Which model is this, the S4 or the S4 mini? Did you retain all your apps during the update? Have you tried a battery pull since the update? How about a full charge with the power off?

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Another thing to check is the mobile network, i.e., settings > more networks > mobile networks, then ensure that Network Mode is set to CDMA/LTE/EVDO and not Global.

0 Likes
kpollinger

I'm seeing this same problem. I have nothing running and can watch the % charge drop every few minutes. Have pulled the batter and started fresh, no change. Also have verified that I do not have the network mode set to Global. Not in Wireless mode, not in Bluetooth mode.

0 Likes
ILLINI4030
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am also having this problem.  I have the regular S4.  A battery pull?  Are you saying to pull the battery out and then put it back in? 

0 Likes
fastlane99

I'm having the same issue with my S4. I rely heavily on my phone to be able to communicate with my team  of employees. I'm always on the move and I can't have my phone sit on a charger multiple times a day. I went from having to charge my phone once, maybe twice on a busy day, to three times within a ten hour workday since this update.

When will this battery drain issue be fixed?

0 Likes
tonyview

Same issue with my S4. Battery lasted all day before update. Why verizon? Why?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

fastlane99,

We know it's quite important to have a reliable phone, we're here to help! Please access Settings>More>Mobile Networks>Network Mode>LTE/CDMA. Then, use http://vz.to/1hEDpyl to determine what is using the most. 

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
MyKroFt_Mt

I have the same probem now - got a update 2:49a on 5/7/15 - update_sch_i545_mk2_to_nc5

and since then I am lucky to get 3 hrs of battery life - even with it sitting idle on the table

adrioid os is at a averare of 29 to 31% and never goes down

I used to be able to go a whole day, and only charge at night at the bed stand....

Help Pls

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's find a way to bring your battery back to normal, MyKroFt_Mt. Are you still using the original home charger that came with your phone? There's a few extremely helpful tips at http://vz.to/1mieDtZ to help extend the life of your battery. Some of those settings may have changed with the update, causing the new battery usage. 

If you don't notice an improvement with a few of those steps, the new software may be conflicting with some of the applications in your phone. Try placing your phone into Safe Mode by powering off your phone then when you power on the device, press and hold the Power button until the Samsung Galaxy S4 logo appears then release. With the Samsung Galaxy S4 logo on screen, press and hold the Volume down key. Continue to hold the Volume down key until Safe mode appears in the lower-left of the unlock screen then release. Keep us posted if that improves the battery on your phone.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes