Why is my data usage increasing multiple times a day when I'm on wi-fi?
TomM8

For both myself on the Samsung Galaxy S4 and my girlfriend on an iPhone 5c, both of which we got just a week ago, we see our data usage total increasing several times a day, typically in very small amounts, occasionally larger.  Her increases are about 10x larger than mine overall.  All of this happens when we're each on wi-fi so I wouldn't expect to see these increases then.  Any idea why this is happening and what I can do to prevent it?  I'm guessing it may be some sort of auto update processing happening in the background, but I don't know that for sure and don't know what else could be causing this.

0 Likes
Re: Why is my data usage increasing multiple times a day when I'm on wi-fi?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello TomM8, this is definitely out of the ordinary! The data shouldn't come out of the allowance while on wifi. Have you encountered the wifi connection dropping at any point and then reconnecting? This could cause the small amount of data usage from apps running in background. We can also check to see what apps or data is being used the most on the devices. For the Samsung Galaxy S4 use these steps: Go to apps, settings, select Data Usage and click More. For the iPhone 5C go to Settings, tap cellular, and tap Use cellular data section. You can test to see if data continues to run by turning off mobile data on both phones when not in use. Keep us posted!

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
Re: Why is my data usage increasing multiple times a day when I'm on wi-fi?
TomM8

After talking to 4 different Verizon reps today, nobody could pinpoint the

cause of this. I was mostly just told not to worry about it. My wifi has

seemingly been very solid both here and at work; I don't notice dropouts

when I'm doing other things on it. But I did disable mobile data on the S4

and observed that the data usage did not increase any further after I did

that. So I guess I'll either use that as my primary mode of operation, and

just manually reenable it when I know I'll be away from a wifi signal, or

turn mobile data back on and live with the ongoing hits until it becomes a

storage issue. At the rate we're using data thus far, that shouldn't

happen.

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <