Wi-Fi Drops
ASHWEA13
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a samsung s7 edge and the wi-fi connects to the 5.0 band but not the 2.4 band. I have gone over all the issues with the cable company and that "seems" fine. On my phone I have forgotten the network, reset the network settings, started in safemode and made sure that i'm up to date on my software. I do not have this problem anywhere else that I'm aware of and other devices connect without issue to the 2.4 bandwidth. Thoughts?

0 Likes
Re: Wi-Fi Drops
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ASHWEA13,

It definitely is concerning that your phone is being temperamental with this particular Wi-Fi connection at your house. Wi-Fi is essential these days and being able to connect as you need to is a priority that I want to get corrected for you. Also, I greatly appreciate the detailed troubleshooting steps that you have gone through already.

I do want to gather some more information from you though. I know that you have the S7/S7 Edge, and that is helpful as well. What software are you currently on? What error message are you receiving when trying to connect to the 2.4 band of Wi-Fi? When was the last time you were able to connect to the 2.4 band? How many other devices in your home are connected to the 2.4 versus the 5 band?

We look forward to getting to the bottom of this Wi-Fi predicament!

RyanCo_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

this sounds like more of an issue with various locations who are using older technology!!

fwiw:

i can connect with an older, 5s, s3 & s5 on various wi-fi's & have never seen a choice to select 5.0 or 2.4!!

ASHWEA13
Enthusiast - Level 2

Software version is G935vvrs4bra1

I don't receive an error message. It goes through the connecting, checking the quality of your Internet, then says connected and immediately drops it.

It has been about ten days since I was able to connect

I have two computers and two other phones connected to the 2.4 band. However, even when the other two phones are not in the house and the computers are turned off, it makes no difference to my ability to connect to the 2.4 band.

I would use the 5.0 band all the time except it doesn't extend out of the den into the rest of the house which is an altogether separate problem. The modem is less than a year old and is an xfinity modem.

Thanks for your help.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Have you been to their website? Seems like a lot of people are having the same problem

Solved: WiFi drops over and over - Xfinity Help and Support Forums - 1994523

ASHWEA13
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info. I did go into my gateway and change things per the forum you listed above. It did not change my situation. Please note that other devices connect, it is only my phone that does not stay connected.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Are you using security and privacy app from Verizon? I know a few months back there was a problem with the app saying that some people home wifi was not safe to connect to and would disconnect them from it.

If you are using this app you can go into the settings and tell it that it is a safe wifi

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the details and we’ll go over a few troubleshooting steps that you can take, ASHWEA13.  I would like you to perform a device health check: http://vz.to/2mMRLLW. Please ensure that the Network Auto Switch feature is turned off: http://vz.to/2pmIUjq. You have the latest operating system, so that’s good.  Just out of curiosity, have you purchased any new items for the home, like a microwave, cordless phone system or anything else that works wirelessly?  

AdamB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
ASHWEA13
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh my god! you found the issue! my wifi, for whatever reason, was on the blocked list. Thank you soooooo much!

ASHWEA13
Enthusiast - Level 2

kathy65793 figured it out. My wifi had been blocked by the Verizon Security and Privacy App. I unblocked it and it is totally fine! Thank you for working with me on this issue.