Wi-fi help
Pamalove
Enthusiast - Level 1

My new S5 is awesome, except when using wi-fi.  When I connect it to my home's wi-fi, it drains so much data that no device can use the internet, including the phone.  I called my internet provider (who also happens to be Verizon) and they said they watched the data stream jump 400% when I turned the wi-fi off on my phone.  I witnessed it myself when trying to load a webpage at my computer that would not go through forever until I disconnected the phone from wi-fi and the page loaded immediately.  So my question is, is there a way to discover what's using so much data or a setting that I can use to be sure this doesn't happen anymore?  Could this be a problem with the device itself?

0 Likes
Re: Wi-fi help
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Yes you do have a problem and there is a way to see what's using that Wi-fi. Go to the Play store and download and install an app called "Onavo Count" . It will show you what app or apps are using that Wi-fi signal and how much. You could also do a safe mode start to see what is going on, but I would try Onavo.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The phone will also show what's using data via wi-fi in the Data Usage section, i.e., tap the Menu button (the three dots in the upper right-hand corner), then check Show Wi-Fi Usage.

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

I'm aware of that feature and I use it from time to time with the Onavo app. With a new S5 and 400 % spike in that data stream ET is phoning home.  However I do appreciate    your helpful tip and jump in anytime. Thanks tikibar1  Smiley Happy .

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I wasn't sure if the OP knew about that option, so thought I'd mention it.  Onavo is a good cross-check against the phone and My Verizon. 

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

I'm not one to go overboard on apps or games. I like my OS clean and working but Onavo is a good check mate app.

0 Likes
Pamalove
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you both for your help! I downloaded the app and nothing looked wrong so I took it back to Verizon. They were pretty stumped, too, but replaced the sim card  and that seems to have done the trick. 🙂