Re: Wi-fi issue after 4.3 update
Jazzmanjazz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay guys, I figured out something really important for the Wi-fi Network too slow disconnector crowd:  Under settings>connections>wi-fi, press your 'wi-fi'.  Now use the lower left button, (next to 'home' button), and select 'advanced'.  In this menu (which is really tucked away from view!) is something called 'AutoNetwork Switch'.  If you have a slower router (i.e. corporate or home router) that is giving you the 'network too slow' baloney, unselect the 'Auto Network Switch'.  Doing so immediately connected me to my slow corporate router!  Yay!  All is right in the world again!  Soooooo Happy!

0 Likes
emk87
Enthusiast - Level 1

My network is having no issues. I have no doubt that this would mask the problem by using more data, but I would like my ability to use Wifi back. My phone is going back to Best Buy for an insurance claim if the problem is not resolved. They can take it up with Verizon on why my Wifi no longer works proper after the update.

I can stream Netflix on My wifi yet my phone has a problem loading a picture from Facebook or Ebay because the "Wifi is unstable". I have 2 words for Verizon "Fix It"

mind20

>>Duplicate post removed to comply with the .  See <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

emk87, thanks for these details. Are you able to connect any other wireless devices to your WiFi feature at home? Can your device to connect to other WiFi networks? We definitely want to fix this issue for you.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
302Stang
Enthusiast - Level 2

>>Duplicate post removed to comply with the .  See <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Cdmaguru
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is 1000% a software issue introduced by 4.3 as somewhere in the chain decides to disconnect WIFI when it "believes" the connection is too slow. First of all, device should not make this type of decision based on connection speed. Or, it should have an option to allow user to disable this type of decision making. It should be totally up to user to decide whether an underlined WIFI connection is desirable or not. It lack of common sense in this feature to allow machines to decide the fate totally. On the other hand, the threshold between "fast" and "slow" is also completely off. An ordinary WIFI hotspot in MacDonald, Starbucks that are used constantly by me and other hundreds of folks suddenly be placed in the category of "slow" network by the algorithm in 4.3. When I am watching the rest of the world enjoy their connection in the spot where my brand new software declare "too slow" --- That's absurd. Samsung/VzW should make a patched release asap or I can se formal complaint might reach to FTC's desk soon as this is an alleged artificial bias to force user to overload their monthly data usage. Who is going to benefit from that ???

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It happens to more than 4.3... My Nexus 5 does it from time to time. My Note 2(T-Mobile) does it from time to time.

FTC can't help you if the carriers are not the one in charge with the code and misplace blame.

0 Likes
Cdmaguru
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply. I am sure this problem comes with JellyBean 4.3 or later. If your Nexus 5 comes with KitKat and have the same problem of getting reject up and front upon initial connection, chances are this bug is propagated to later OS. Please be aware the underlined issues are 1. Over conservative WIFI speed estimation. 2. Should not flat out reject WIFI connection without users' consent. Neither of this issues exit in prior software load. All the subsequent software update after initial roll out of devices by carrier is called "Maintenance Release" from OEM. This type of release will need to be approved by carrier and put it in a queue to be pushed out at a strategic time with the best marketing sense. No one outside the loop knows the influence of carrier to OEM as to certain things in certain aspect. In the end, the buck stops at carrier and they are the ultimate party to be liable as we usually don't buy phone from OEM. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Nexus 5 has 0 carrier influence. Carriers don't touch code whatsoever. It is manufacturers and Google who handle all code. If it is present in AOSP then it will be present on all releases unless the OEM removes the code.

0 Likes
Indygreg71

You will not be so happy if this tanks your battery and (more significant) your monthly bill. 

this setting only masks the issues . . . and what will happen is your phone will jump from wifi to LTE/3G as well as SSID to SSID.  The wifi jumps will hurt battery.  the LTE is the real killer . . . you could think you are on wifi, since you are at home or work and should be on wifi, and you use LTE for a video or something. 

As others say, this is a 4.3 issue.  It is a waste of our time to look at other causes.  Search forums for G3 and other Samsung phones that went to 4.3 - look for "unstable" and it is the same thing over and over. 

0 Likes