WiFi/4G
MySIII
Contributor - Level 2

I had to get a new S3 as I dropped mine and cracked the screen...I noticed that the Wifi and 4G are both in the notification bar at the same time, not sure that is supposed to be that way and not sure if that means it is using up data or using WiFi. Yes I am connected to a WiFi at home. Been looking thru settings but it's been awhile since I had to start with a "new stock phone".  I am on the 4.1.2 OS.  Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WiFi/4G
MySIII
Contributor - Level 2

Ok, I found the solution.  I googled again with different search words and found the solution on another forum. The built in "Caller ID"  or "ID caller" App keeps the 4G on all the time unless mobile data is manually turned off. You have to go to Settings>Manage Applications>All> and find the Caller ID App and "disable it".  Unless you are paying for it of course. once I did that, my WiFi switched on and 4G OFF and vice verse when no WiFi.

When you get a new device the Called ID is activated for free trial. Since I got a replacement device it was active. No more.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MySIII
Contributor - Level 2

Anyone have a suggestion?

0 Likes
Not applicable

First off I do not own this device. However I would go into your phone settings and turn cellular data off while on WiFi.

Also in settings have the settings to update over cellular turned off to update only over WiFi.

Your owners manual can advise you how and where the setting is located.

On my iphones the little 4G symbol occasionally pops on when I am on WiFi. However I also set my phone off for cellular data and roaming and I have not seen it in awhile.

Good Luck

0 Likes
MySIII
Contributor - Level 2

Elector wrote:

First off I do not own this device. However I would go into your phone settings and turn cellular data off while on WiFi.

Also in settings have the settings to update over cellular turned off to update only over WiFi.

Your owners manual can advise you how and where the setting is located.

On my iphones the little 4G symbol occasionally pops on when I am on WiFi. However I also set my phone off for cellular data and roaming and I have not seen it in awhile.

Good Luck

Thanks but this was not the case with my previous S3, the Mobile Data should toggle off when WiFi is on.  I shouldn't have to toggle Mobile Data on/off when on WiFi.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're correct, the phone should switch seamlessly as needed between mobile data and wi-fi, but for whatever reason, the S3 and S4 (and other phones) don't always do it.  I'm usually on wi-fi and keep my mobile data turned off until needed, but that's just me. 

0 Likes
MySIII
Contributor - Level 2

tikibar1 wrote:

You're correct, the phone should switch seamlessly as needed between mobile data and wi-fi, but for whatever reason, the S3 and S4 (and other phones) don't always do it.  I'm usually on wi-fi and keep my mobile data turned off until needed, but that's just me. 

Hey tiki, thanks. So it could be this particular (new) device even though my previous device toggled just fine?  Gah. I usually turn off  WiFi until I know I have one available so that it's not always scanning but I never had to turn off mobile data.  Argh. If not one thing it another.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some blame it on specific devices, some on updates, some on the day of the week (ha!).  Seems to be random; each phone has its own quirks.

0 Likes
MySIII
Contributor - Level 2

Gotcha, ok. Well I have not updated this to 4.3 (yet), I did my last one for about 2 weeks before I blew up the screen...Lol. But this thread isn't about the update..Ssshhhh. Hehe. So I will go with the fact that it's yet one of those glitches in our ever glitchy technology. 

Side note....Just talked with Vzw customer service, he said...Wait for it,...."That some S3, S4 show that 4G in the notification bar...Said the the person next to him had an S3 and now S4 and has that happen. Really?!?! 

As long as if the 4G is on along with WiFi and is NOT using up mobile date,( theyu said it's not) then I can live with the Icon showing up and if not toggle it off while on WiFi. (then if i get an MMS, have to toggle it back on to download then back off) 

MySIII
Contributor - Level 2

Ok, I found the solution.  I googled again with different search words and found the solution on another forum. The built in "Caller ID"  or "ID caller" App keeps the 4G on all the time unless mobile data is manually turned off. You have to go to Settings>Manage Applications>All> and find the Caller ID App and "disable it".  Unless you are paying for it of course. once I did that, my WiFi switched on and 4G OFF and vice verse when no WiFi.

When you get a new device the Called ID is activated for free trial. Since I got a replacement device it was active. No more.

0 Likes