Re: Wifi Connection issue
Bobod2000

I had the same problem. In Wifi settings hit the menu button then choose advanced.  Make sure auto network switch is unchecked.

0 Likes
rdyxrolx
Enthusiast - Level 3

Auto Network Switch isn't the problem here. It's intrinsic to this phone and its well-documented Wifi issues. Verizon and Samsung need to either fix this or send out new phones.

0 Likes
rdyxrolx
Enthusiast - Level 3

Screenshot_2013-12-20-21-00-17[1].png

Here it is, and I've got six different screen captures from six different networks with the same message. Verizon has to fix this.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

In that screen you posted of the wifi connections, press the menu button and go into the Advanced option. Uncheck the Auto-switch.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rdyxrolx
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ann,

Thanks for your reply.

I've done that, and I've tried all the other solutions, including resetting the phone and resetting the router, all to no avail. There's an intrinsic problem with this phone, plain and simple.

As a matter of fact, when you change that setting, once the Wifi fails, it wants to change that setting back. This is a software and firmware problem with the S4. I've been literally on top of the router, within three feet, and unable to maintain a connection.

0 Likes
Frank1949
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem since the SCH-1545_MJ7_to_MK2 update that occurred in 12/17/2013. It happens anywhere I go and connect to WIFI. Even WiFi Fixer cannot consistently keep the WiFi up. In fact the WiFi turns it self completely off at times. Is there a way to go back top the prior release?

0 Likes
Frank1949
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just spoke with Customer Support who had me delete my WiFi connection and reenter it. Since I did that the WiFi does not seem to have dropped for about the last 30 minutes or so. She told me I would have to do that for every WiFi connection I have in my phone. What a pain. I have never heard of such a thing but I guess if it works

0 Likes
Timbo2000
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since the latest Verizon snafu, MK2, now my Wi-Fi is acting up.  Seems that now every time my phone goes to a blank screen, it cuts the wi-fi connection. When I wake the phone, and try to launch an app, it searches for ever and unless I cancel the app and then restart it, no connection is never made... Yes, I have keep wi-fi alive, even during sleep, I have auto switch turned OFF.  

This "SMART PHONE" is really starting to become a really "STUPID" phone thanks to Verizon's FORCING us to accept BRICKED Android updates!

If they don't soon fix this FUBAR, my next phone will be an iPhone and with a different carrier.

Are you listening, Verizon?

PC9850

I am having nearly the same issue. This began with our arrival in Australia for the holidays about two weeks ago. I brought the phone to use as a wi-fi only device during our stay and at the time it was on the MJ7 update. I immediately noticed the phone was crippled by this wi-fi issue; about every 30 seconds the whole phone would go blank for a moment, reload everything, and display the message at the bottom of the screen that wi-fi was now connected to the network. I am not seeing the other message that the connection is slow, just a constant disconnect and reconnect that causes a reset of whatever process I'm doing when it occurs. This quite literally makes internet browsing impossible, all the phone is useful for now is giving me a notification of new email.

I initially thought this was due to some sort of incompatibility with Australian Wi-Fi routers, if there's such a thing. However, after reading numerous other similar reports, I believe this is indeed a problem with the update and it just happened to occur at the beginning of our trip. I tried updating to MK2 but there was no change, I tried the Wi-Fi setting tricks but there was no change, and finally I tried the Verizon Software Repair tool with no change either. I do hope this is resolved soon; I love my Galaxy S4 but Wi-Fi is absolutely useless on it right now.

0 Likes
knetwurx

I've been dealing with this ever since the 4.3 update.  I've dealt with Samsung and Verizon tech support but the problem persisted.  Today I decided to try different settings on my router (Linksys EA6500).  I created a different name and password for the 5 GHz network and left the 2.4 GHz with the original name and password.  On the phone, wifi, I selected forget network (original name/password), turned off wifi, then switched it back on.  After all that I connected to the 5 GHz only with the new password.  The phone has stayed connected for over 6 hours now which is better than the 10 to 15 minutes that I was dealing with before.  Not sure if this is a fluke or a fix but figured I'd post just in case this is helpful to anyone out there.

0 Likes