Wifi calling quit working in airplane mode!
CaneBranch

My Wi-Fi calling in airplane mode has quit working, it was working as late as Monday. I live in a spotty area for cell coverage and rely on Wi-Fi calling frequently. The only way it works well is if you go to airplane mode and then cut Wi-Fi on. I have used this for years and all of a sudden now when I make a call it says airplane mode must be turned off. If the airplane mode is turned off then it tries to make a call through a poor cellular connection and will not call through Wi-Fi. Please help. 

PS. I have tried all the faq's and fixes posted on this community board and none have worked. Obviously something was changed with an update because again I have been using this for many years and now it's gone.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Wifi calling quit working in airplane mode!
vtime35

I have recently been experiencing the same problem with multiple samsung phones. Airplane mode/wifi is the standard method of mobile phone use in my household as we do not receive
a reliable verizon signal at my residence. It has worked great for years until now. In airplane mode with wifi enabled a call will not complete and a message is displayed "Turn off airplane mode to complete this call?" Also text messages cannot be sent or received in airplane mode with wifi.
Other services such as email, apps, web browsing seem to work as usual in airplane and wifi enabled. The strange thing is the phone works fine during the morning until the later part of
the afternoon and then will not work properly until the next morning. I have verified all of our phones have the same problem on wifi networks at other locations so it definitely is not caused by my network infrastructure / internet service provider. The problem first started on 5/27/21 and has continued until 6/4/21.  Hoping someone from verizon will take the initiative to resolve this difficult problem.

0 Likes
log_dogg2007
Enthusiast - Level 1

My wife and I are having the same issue. Galaxy s10e and s8+ We have zero cell service inside our home and have used wifi calling for years. Up until recent it has always worked flawlessly. Although We have never used the airplane mode method as we have zero service in/around our home. Now when we try to place a call we get a message that pops up saying " mobile network not available " and the call is not connected.  Needing a fix for this badly as we are not receiving calls either and use our phones for work also..

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, we can troubleshooting this with you. Please send us a Private Note to proceed.

0 Likes
vtime35

I will be glad to provide more information to expedite correcting this problem.  But first can you tell me the information I need to provide and how to send a "private note" through the portal?

Thanks

0 Likes
akaMOTU

I am DONE with verizon. WIFI calling USED to be reliable. NOT ANYMORE. Works on Thursday. Not on Friday. Works on Saturday. Not on Sunday.The ONLY change in our setup? It's a different day. The support techs seem clueless. No solution in sight. I am going to my local verizon store this week to turn in my 3 week on S21 Ultra. NOT ANOTHER DIME! ANYBODY else HAS to be better.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, vtime35. This is certainly an interesting occurrence, and we are here to help get it resolved. To clarify the details provided, you are able to use Wi-Fi Calling successfully while in Airplane Mode the first part of the day, but in the latter part, it ceases to function properly?

0 Likes
vtime35

Thank you for your response. 

Wifi calling and texting (Airplane Mode) works properly for our phones during the first half of the day.  But by 4:00 - 4:30 pm EST each day both wifi calling and texting (in airplane mode) stop working.  I have verified this behavior on two phones (Galaxy S10 and S7) on multiple wifi networks and different locations to ensure that the problem is not related to my network/wifi gear.  The problem started occurring as early as 5/27/21 and has repeated each day since then.  When the problem occurs I have verified other services using wifi  (apps, email, and web browsing) are operational.  So the problem seems to be isolated to the airplane mode wifi calling and texting services.

Thank you for your help.

0 Likes
don97

I seem to be having the same problem as vtime35.

I've been using wifi calling for years at home, of which has very little cell service.  On 5/31, I noticed (could have been a few days earlier) the wifi calling/texting wasn't functioning anymore on my Note9.  Daily, it seems to start working fairly reliably at around 12am EST each night.  It still works in the morning, but when I get home at 6pm it's no longer functional.  I've also noticed the problem while connected to multiple different ISPs in the area, not just my home network.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi don97, we want to make sure that your Note 9 is able to connect to Wi-Fi whenever it is available to you. This is disappointing to read that you've been having problems lately, so we're here to help. On 5/31/21, or around that time, did you device by chance go through a new software update or did you happen to download any new apps recently? Do you have any physical or liquid damage to your device? 

0 Likes