Wifi calling
cardboard66
Enthusiast - Level 3

I came over from At&t whom I was a customer for over 15 yrs.

On my At&t phones I could turn on wifi calling. And it put a Icon at the top of my pull down menu like where the Blue tooth and all is.

You could touch it and go to wifi calling so if you was in a bad area like a metal Building you went threw the wifi to talk to somebody.

Or if you was in a Bad area you could use the Wifi to use your phone.

I got a S8+ from a Verizon Corporate store.

Its a G955U wireless phone.

When I go into the advanced settings and turn wifi calling on.

It gives me no Icon at the top of the phone.

Nor does it put a icon on the pull down menu like on the phones with At&t.

I called Verizon Tech support.

They told me to go in the setting and turn mobile data off to use Wifi calling

I said , What !

Why should I have to do all of this. I should have a Icon at the top of the screen and it switch me to wifi calling.

I tried turning Mobile data off in the setting. Which I should not have to do.

And no icon or anything showed up letting me use wifi calling.

Does anybody know why this feature is either not available on the S8+ or in the new operating system Nougat ?

Appreciate the help.

Not sure that anybody at Verizon knows what I'm talking about.

0 Likes
Re: Wifi calling
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@cardboard66

Welcome to the Verizon Wireless family! We’re glad to have you on our team. The new Samsung Galaxy S8+ device is a great choice and I want to ensure your WiFi Calling feature is working flawlessly on your new device.

Here’s a link with instructions how to turn on and use WiFi Calling on your new Galaxy S8+ device: http://vz.to/2pj3mzz. Let me know how that works out for you.

AnthonyTa_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer�  button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our  conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
cardboard66
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have gone in and turned HD voice and video calling in,

gone in and put a address in emergency calling. But not the correct address. My choice

Gone to roaming and hit Perfer WIFI.

I only have 2 bars on my phone.

If a storm comes it goes down to 1 bar.

Live in the country and about 1/2 miles from a verizon tower on FM 1988 and FM 3126 outside Lvingston, Texas.

Why doesn't Verizon put a Icon at the top of the pull down screen to make it easy for their customers to use Wifi calling.

Why not give us the choice on what we would like to use and make life easier for us.

Seems even your people in your stores are slightly confused if wifi calling really works and or how to set it up.

Thank You.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Cardboard66, it’s our priority to make sure you are able to utilize all of your phone’s features.  Let’s go over this together.  Just to clarify, is your WiFi calling still no longer working?  Have to tried to connect to more than just your home WiFi?

Verizon_Customer_Support

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
cardboard66
Enthusiast - Level 3

Everything that was in the Video is done.

Wished I could get more than 2 bars outside the house.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for following the steps. When you have Wi-Fi Calling enabled, you will not get a notification or an option you can select. However, you will see an icon next to your Wi-Fi symbol that is a phone and it will be red when you are not on a call and green when you are on a call that is using Wi-Fi. The only time your phone will use Wi-Fi Calling is when your signal is not as strong as your Wi-Fi signal is. What is your ZIP Code where you live?

YeseniaV_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
cardboard66
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank You : But !

I do not for any Reason get on Twitter , or Facebook or places like that to do anything.

I live in 77351 off Fm1988 and FM 3126 area.

You have the Wifi calling set so it takes the phone signal over the wifi.

That is your choice. Why do you get to decide.

Why shouldn't I be able to decide Which one I want ,Phone signal or wifi and not verizon.

you are Very expensive with your data also. I do not have much Data on the plan I have being retired.

I'd rather have it where I can have it to go threw my Wifi to cut down on Data usage too.

There are a lot of trees around me. So I'm sure you can't factor this in everything with you sitting in the office.

If you look at my phone number and account. You can also see my Address. Then you can use Google earth see your towers and the trees everywhere.

Even 7 miles away in Livingston, Texas. I only get 2 bars of service, in most places in town.

To use the internet is still slow there  too.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I absolutely understand wanting to customize your phone experience to make it convenient for you and find ways to conserve your cellular data, cardboard66. I appreciate you making the choice to switch to Verizon and want to be sure you are getting the best value for the data plan you chose. The mention of Twitter is simply a suggestion and I'm confident we can keep helping right here.

While the Samsung S8+ is designed to grab LTE signal if available, there are methods to make sure you only use WiFi for data or calls through a simple pull down of your notification bar as you mentioned. Leaving WiFi Calling and WiFi turned on, you can pull the notification bar down to reflect quick buttons, such as Airplane Mode (which is turn off all cellular communication on the phone and rely solely on WiFi) or Mobile Data (to quickly turn 3G and LTE data off to solely rely on WiFi for data and 1x or WiFi for calls). If you don’t see those buttons right away, tap the single horizontal line that appears when you pull the notification bar down and it will open a larger symbol menu. You can then tap the three dots in the upper right corner to reorder the quick buttons or change the button layout. Does this help provide the quick touch you experienced in past devices?

Trees will absolutely play a factor in a decrease in signal around the area. We have an amazing team of experts that constantly work on the signal in areas, such as Livingston, to be sure you get the best speeds possible. Even with 2 bars, you should be able to consistently have calls and data connections. While you are outside, do you experience trouble with phone calls? Can you please share what speed you generally see with 1-2 bars of service? You can use www.speedtest.net to complete the speed test at your convenience.

Thank you

JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
cardboard66
Enthusiast - Level 3

ping 38ms

download 0.76 mbps

upload 1.74 mbps

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much cardboard66. Let's see what's causing that slow signal and see what options we have. Was this indoors or outdoors? Any other verizon devices similiarly affected by your home?

JoeL_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes