Re: Verizon Galaxy S4 4.4 Update (KitKat)
lando13
Enthusiast - Level 3

gpeterden wrote:

I'm thankful that it hasn't been released. Two of my friends are on T-Mobile and ATT and told me that they have lost 30% of the battery life on the SG4 and they have to wait until Google release a patch to fix it. The Samsung Note 3 is having GPS issues with the upgrade. Just think if it was released with a bug like that everyone would complain about the issues with the upgrade. I can see why Verizon isn't the first out they want to make sure what they push out isn't going to cause more problems.

Two of my friends have the S4 on Sprint - they've had the update for like a month. They have reported 0 issues.

0 Likes
UAVPilot1
Contributor - Level 1

Looked today for the KK 4.4 update... sure enough, nothing yet still... what great service Samsung GS4 users are getting in comparison to the other US carriers...

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

I'm in no great hurry for it.  The HTC One got their KK update and now there is a whole lot of people on that site crying the blues because of all the problems.  I'll stay with a very stable 4.3 for awhile, and see what happens to the S4 once users start downloading it.

0 Likes
RalphRoberts
Enthusiast - Level 3

thanks ... that's exactly why I did not bother replying to the Verizon message. It totally missed the point.

meanwhile, still waiting for 4.4.

0 Likes
beyedup
Contributor - Level 1

Just found these two articles that may help.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/android-5-0-key-lime-pie-rel...

http://blog.laptopmag.com/android-5-0-allegedly-coming-to-samsung-galaxy-s4-and-note-2-older-models-...

Apparently Android 5.0 is already on the way. And according to this article, the S4 is on the list for receiving it.

So Verizon may be purposely dragging their feet on this release of 4.4.2 for the S4 knowing the update will be replaced soon.

Check the articles for little more info.

0 Likes
fyrfyter
Enthusiast - Level 3

The problem with that is the same problem being discussed here. Even if 5.0 comes out during Google IO in Spring, It will be 2-3 months before the carriers start to roll the update to the devices that can support it. If that is the case, then Verizon would likely not roll the update until between September and November, at which point 5.1 will be upon us. A newer OS coming from Google does not fix the slowness at which Verizon rolls out updates, when everyone else is cruising along.

UAVPilot1
Contributor - Level 1

Here's the problem with them dragging their feet. We have seen where the S3 was supposed to receive the 4.2 update and it was skipped over for the 4.3, which means it was over a year before the S3 received an update. I do not want my phone to be skipping updates of any kind. I don't care if I am part of a majority or minority. If people don't want the updates, then don't update your phone. I, however, do want the updates and will update it to achieve the latest features/functions on my phone. I pay a lot of money for my service but apparently I am JUST the customer and have no say so in what Verizon offers me. I DEMAND the updates and will not sit quietly. I do not want to hear crap about extensive testing and they are working hard to ensure it is ready. It has been over a month before the first US carrier has received the update, maybe Verizon has hired the wrong people for the job. Those that build root files have had this update for months. Apparently everyone in the US except Verizon is doing something right and getting the update. NO MORE EXCUSES Verizon, give it to us now before you lose precious money, I mean customers, as we are just viewed as dollar signs, not people with wants and demands.

0 Likes
UAVPilot1
Contributor - Level 1

Fyrfyter, you could not have put it any better!!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the follow up, Sparky13.
Please provide the software version that you read on your device within Settings>About Phone>Build version.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
UAVPilot1
Contributor - Level 1

I bet his phone will read "up to date" when we all know it is not "Up to date!!!" Give us 4.4 now so we are where the other US carriers are with their GS4!!!