charged data while connected to wifi
lynzy713

I upgraded from an Iphone 4s to the Samsung Galaxy S5 a few weeks ago and all of a sudden I'm flying through data.  I went online today to research further and found that I'm being charged data while I'm connected to WiFi at home and work...even overnight while I'm sleeping and not even doing anything with my phone!  How can that even be possible!?! This issue needs to be resolved ASAP as it's completely fraudulent.  There's absolutely no reason i should be getting showing data usage while connected to WiFi. 

0 Likes
Re: charged data while connected to wifi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

lynzy713, congratulations on your upgrade to a new S5! That's an awesome device. However, let's take a closer look at your data usage sessions online at My Verizon http://bit.ly/xB4iTc Please be advised that data usage can take up to 48 hours to post to your account online.

Have you downloaded 3rd party applications that may be running in the background of your device?

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
lynzy713

i called tech support today and was basically told that in order to not have data being used while on wifi i have to turn off my mobile data.  this makes no sense to me, if i'm connected to wifi why should i have to then make another change to turn that off (and wouldn't that stop me from getting picture texts, etc)? The times I'm being shown as using data are literally while i'm sleeping, at my house, connected to wifi.  i have my wifi set to stay connected overnight, etc.  I noticed the same issues going on with my sister's line on my account who has the Iphone5. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The WiFi sleep policy doesn't always work as advertised. It doesn't take long to turn off the cellular data. I take the few seconds to turn if off and on every day before leaving or returning home.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
lynzy713

Ann154 I'm trying that option out now.  I went on and saw that i was charged data while home late this morning as well so i don't think it's the sleep setting anymore as i had used my phone earlier this morning.  I have the "smart network switch" option turned off (has always been off) so it shouldn't ever switch between the two when i'm on WiFi in the first place according to the tech I was on the phone with.  from the other things i've read this sounds like a fairly common complaint from other customers.  i also have the setting set so that apps don't update unless connected to wifi...so i have no idea what could possibly be happening when i'm not using the phone in order to show data usage.  Seems pretty convenient that i finally upgrade my phone and all of a sudden my data usage doubles with no changes to my usage habits. 

0 Likes
lynzy713

plus when i turn off mobile data i don't get picture messages, etc.....no sure how that makes sense, how did picture messages go through way back when we had non "smart" phones?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The basic phones had the data always turned on. You just weren't using the data for other things besides the MMS messages.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since I get so few MMS messages, I just turn on the cellular data for the few moments it takes to download the attachment in the MMS message.

0 Likes