comprable S4 replacement
tahoePorter

My S4 is about done.  cracked screen , apps that do not work etc.  I am looking for the cheapest replacement but do not want to downgrade performance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: comprable S4 replacement
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the max price you would be willing to pay? What features do you need? 

Personally I would suggest the Pixel 3a to size and feel of the Samsung Galaxy S4, but it has been a long time since I have handled an S4. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tahoePorter

comparable, comparable, comparable.

I want the cheapest phone that is comparable.

I do not want a worse camera,

I do not want a worse processor.

etc.

I would think this is easy as a lot of newr low end phones surpass the old S4 specs.

thanks

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Anything on the market now it likely going to have a better processor and camera than the S4 came with. As I am not super familiar with the very low price market I can't pull out of my hat the specs of those phones let alone the specs of the S4. I believe the individual customer should be able to search for that information so they can compare the data in the format they prefer.

That said, the S4 was considered a higher end phone when it was released. Having used both the S4 years ago and the Pixel 3a recently, I would consider the build quality of the Pixel 3a to the S4 as comparable. At $399.99, the Pixel 3a isn't the lowest price of the available smartphones, but it is certainly less expensive than the high end Pixel 3 or 4, the latest Samsung or iPhone. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
NewOldcustomer
Contributor - Level 2

@tahoePorter wrote:

comparable, comparable, comparable.

I want the cheapest phone that is comparable.

I do not want a worse camera,

I do not want a worse processor.

etc.

I would think this is easy as a lot of newr low end phones surpass the old S4 specs.

Try the Samsung A50.   https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a50-9554.php
the S4 is so outdated that even the A10 has better processor and equal camera.  
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a10-9580.php

LoydaminC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recommend the A50 or A70 as well (the former because of price). At some places I've seen the a50 for $170 or $7.08/mo for Verizon!

Definitely a great bet!

0 Likes
NewOldcustomer
Contributor - Level 2

Okay, my A50 arrived.  In many ways it's right up there with the S4/S5.  In some ways much better.  The screen is big, beautiful and responsive. Very bright, I have mine set at 1/4 and it's really bright.     It feels light because of the 'glastic' case.  It's a magnet for dust and prints, so I put a case and screen protector on it right away.  In most ways it's classic Samsung.   Mercifully no bixby button.  Finger print and Face ID work great, very impressed.  Set and don't forget your back up PIN code, you need it!   
   The down side:   The top speaker is small, tinny sounding.   It is 'stereo' , but that top speaker it tinny, so it doesn't have good base sound.  Plug in ear buds and is very good.  Next radio works!  So you have FM radio for news or emergency alerts.   No dark mode.  VVM is kind of funky, but works, it's just different from pixel. 
     Now as a Samsung user, this is probably all familiar to you, but once you get away from Samsung, it's hard to put up with. 
Since I've been using a Pixel 3 xl for a year.  As soon as I started dealing with Samsung's version of Android, I missed my Pixel.    I suppose a Samsung user might feel the same about Pixel.   
  I bought mine as a 'new open box' off eBay auction with a coupon.  It came with everything except ear buds, but I have the good ones that came with my S9.  
   The A70 is a bigger phone, more on board storage.  It should be about the same price, but might be $50/100 more than A50. 

0 Likes