hotspot not working
jkc0071

hotspot not working. tethering a problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: hotspot not working
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, jkc0071. We are very sorry to hear about any troubles that have come up with using mobile hotspot. We certainly are happy to assist with making sure that any issues are resolved. So that we can see this from your eyes, can you please describe what is happening that tells you that mobile hotspot is not working correctly? How long has this been happening? -Brett

0 Likes
Ed10pe

Several people seem to be having this problem. When you try to turn on the mobile hotspot, you get a message saying "Tethering - an error has occurred when activating this functionality. Please try again later"

The error message seems to imply that it is a network problem, and not a problem with an individual phone ( otherwise, why would it ask you to try again later)

For me, the problem and error message popped up about four or five times in early January, but after two or three tries within the next minute or so it would activate. However, since Thursday January 20th, hotspot will not activate at all (nor will bluetooth tethering)

Verizon support walked me through all the ways to restart and reset my  phone, to no avail

My most recent message is that it has been escalated to IT to review, and I'm still waiting to hear back

I do have an older phone, an LG from 2017, so I wonder if Verizon just made some change related to the implementation of 5G which is incompatible with such older phones

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Ed10pe. We have an alert listed for this Mobile Hotspot issue on LGs. Let's help you file a ticket to get this issue resolved. We are sending you a Private Note to get started. *Cassie

0 Likes
JayPA5
Enthusiast - Level 3

Cassie - I have the same issue and had a 2nd tier ticket to try and get this resolved. I was working with Mike from Verizon tech support and he was very helpful, but nothing ever got resolved and the ticket was closed. That was on 1/22 - it is now 1/25/22 and still no resolution with our LGK20 phones which always worked wonderfully for everything, including Hot Pot Tethering. Ours appeared to have stop on our around 1/20/22 as well. Cust service and tech support tried everything, but then Mike said he saw that lots of LG phone users are having this same issue. 

I am still waiting on Verizon wireless to fix this issue. Can you reopen a ticket for me? I was on hold with cust support for over 10 mins and no one picked up to allow me to even begin to discuss this. And on top of this, the imap server at aol appears to be down as well as all our devices stopped getting email. That's 2 kindles, 2 computers and 2 cell phones. All I can do is use web ail at AOl.

0 Likes
Ed10pe

Update:  my mobile hotspot finally activated around 7:15 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, after having been out since January 20th

0 Likes
JayPA5
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good News! Just tried this morning around 6:30 AM eastern and hot spot tethering is working on our LG phone again!

0 Likes