issues with the latest OTA update
draya06
Contributor - Level 1

Has anyone else had issues with this latest update from verizon? I am assuming it is the newest Jelly Bean update. I tried to defer it because i desperately need my phone to work right now, but it started the update anyway. Now i have Samsung galaxy Siii in bright white letters and nothing else. It has been stuck like this for over an hour.  So i'm wondering if any one else has had a problem, or if it took a long time to install. Should i wait or am I SCREWED? I know everyone likes to have the latest OS and people really get annoyed when there is a delay, but I personally wish verizon would stop updating my phones. I don't think I've ever gotten one that actually improved my phone, usually I lose my favorite function or have to have my phone replaced. If this doesn't resolve, it will be the second time I have had an update require a replacement in less than six months.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: issues with the latest OTA update
starsky1948
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, drayao6.  I also had this same problem on my Samsung Galaxy S III.  Waited an hour for that white letter display to clear up, but it became obvious that nothing was being accomplished.  Eventually, I gave up and opened up the back of the phone and removed the battery.  Reinstalled the battery about 10 seconds later and replaced the back cover.  This powered down the phone (of course) so I then powered up the phone in the usual way (held down the power button for about 5 seconds).  When the phone powered up, the screen displayed a message to the effect that the update was being installed; an installation progress bar was also displayed.  The installation took less than a minute and my phone's been working normally since then.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

edmundhead

I too have this same exact issue.

0 Likes
starsky1948
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, drayao6.  I also had this same problem on my Samsung Galaxy S III.  Waited an hour for that white letter display to clear up, but it became obvious that nothing was being accomplished.  Eventually, I gave up and opened up the back of the phone and removed the battery.  Reinstalled the battery about 10 seconds later and replaced the back cover.  This powered down the phone (of course) so I then powered up the phone in the usual way (held down the power button for about 5 seconds).  When the phone powered up, the screen displayed a message to the effect that the update was being installed; an installation progress bar was also displayed.  The installation took less than a minute and my phone's been working normally since then.

Hope this helps.

AZSALUKI
Legend

it sounds like it just froze up. try what starsky1948 mentioned. in most cases, pulling the battery and booting it back up will fix it.

0 Likes
edmundhead

The battery pull worked for me. I called Verizon support and that's what they had me do. I was hesitant to do that before I talked to them, as I didn't know what state the software update was in. But they had me take the battery out for 30 seconds, once I put it back in, the phone restarted and finished the install.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Edmundhead, no worries. I'm stepping in to address your concerns regarding the recent software update on your device. Updates are sent by the manufacturer to fix bug and implement new features on your device to improve your wireless experience. However, sometimes the updates can conflict with applications that you have downloaded from the Android market. Try power cycling your phone off/on and keep us posted. We're here for you.

Lasina_H
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
procam
Enthusiast - Level 2

<Duplicate post deleted for cross posting violations per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.  See link for the original message.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
draya06
Contributor - Level 1

I should have replied earlier. I did pull the battery and restart the phone, but only after speaking with Verizon customer service. I already had to have one phone replaced after an update bricked a phone, and wanted to be sure i wouldn't be ruining another. Thanks for everyone's replies.

0 Likes