mini USB charging issues
GunMetal21

I've recently been having issues with what I believe is the mini USB charging port on my GS3. When I plug it in, (I've tried at least 3 different chargers and outlets) its very difficult to get the phone to charge. It's like the phone and cord have to be positioned in the perfect spot for it to charge. Not only that, but when I do get it into a spot where it will start charging, it will all of a sudden start beeping about 4 or 5 times as if its rapidly being unplugged and being plugged back in very quickly (high pitch charging beep you get every time its plugged in). I have also noticed that it takes longer to charge now and sometimes seems as if its actually losing battery when charging. I went to a verizon store and they said since its under warranty that I could get a replacement but that if they determine that I dropped the phone and that is the reason for my issues I could be charged like $300 for the phone which is BS. I have had the phone in a otter box at least 95% of the time I have owned it. If I ever did drop it, it was never anything damaging at all and I haven't dropped it in probably months and didn't have this issue until now. There is no physical damage from what I or the guy at the store could see except for a slight ding on the corner of the phone but I'm still worried that Verizon will try and get whatever they can from me and just charge me for the phone. If anyone has had similar issues and found a solution or if anyone thinks I should or should not get a replacement under warranty I would appreciate any advise. If I am charged for the phone if they replace it, is there a way to dispute their claim that it was my fault? Thanks

0 Likes
Re: mini USB charging issues
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

FYI it's a micro USB not a mini USB port.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JoeKiv
Contributor - Level 1

I would inspect the Phone's micro usb port, the usb cable and the charger for physical damage.  IF NONE, I would take all 3 to a Verizon Store and let them determine if it's the Phone or cable/charger.  If its the phone, I would ask them to replace it under the warranty.  I would not mention or discuss anything about about what caused it. Thats their determination.  If they claim that it's due to physical damage, which I doubt they will without physical damage to the micro usb port, have them show you exactly how. You have no burden to prove you are not responsible.  They have to demonstrate that you are.  My experience with Vz has been that they are usually fair in their assessments of cause.

Should you be responsible, check with Samsung about a repair.  Cheaper than a new phone.

0 Likes
dangermousedale
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've started having this SAME issue...I have a Nexus 7 tablet that I use for gaming and web surfing primarily.  I really would have killed the S3 all together if not for the fact I still have unlimited data on it that I use as a hotspot for my Nexus 7 when I'm away from home where I have wireless broadband for all my devices.

I thought I liked this phone, but I'm actually missing my Thunderbolt big time.  The S3 drops calls ALL THE TIME, and now the battery issue is sucking the remaining potential pleasure I had for it. 

Of course some say may battery usage is due to my "hotspot" usage but the battery drops regardless of what I'm doing.  Like I mentioned before, when I'm at home, I don't use it for a hotspot since I have wireless broadband at home.  When I go to bed, the phone can have a full charge, by morning I'm down to 20% charge. And when it does charge, it takes FOREVER to get to a full charge.  S3 sucks....

0 Likes