problems after oreo update
dragynmyrlin
Enthusiast - Level 1

My S7 is glitchy, lags, runs very hot, shuts off Samsung health app frequently, freezes and more.  All after the update.  My battery usage is through the roof.  Errors when deleting emails, gets stuck between screens, takes forever to load a page, etc.  Is there a way to revert to the previous version?  Until they fix all the bugs in Oreo, my phone really sucks.  You pay so much each month for service and I can barely use the phone.  I'm writing this in my PC because it was taking forever on the phone to type.

Re: problems after oreo update
bearone21
Legend

you need to go in to every setting you previously changed & make sure they're where you want them, all notifications may be selected!!

the last monthly update change my ringtone!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Our goal is to provide you with a device that works properly. We're sorry to hear about the issues you've been having. Lets dig a little further. I'm curious what are your results when you run a device health check? https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-206337/  

Joel_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
markmurphy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too have been having nothing but grief from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S7 (not iPhone) ever since the Oreo update.  Taking the hint from the iPhone article I ran the check in the MyVerizon app and all it complains about is that some apps have ads (as if this is something rare), 

The update took long enough to come out that it should have been done right. Please fix it.  Thank you.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Has anyone cleared the cache partition?

Turn phone off

Then hold the power-volume up-home

The phone will go into recovery mode

Then use the volume down to highlight clear cache partition Press power

Then volume down to say yes and press power again

The phone will then reboot in recovery mode then press power to reboot the phone

This will clear out all the old files that are left behind after an update

It will not change any of your settings on the phone

This partition is like a hard drive on a computer and holds all the old files

that your phone doesn't need anymore and some of these files can cause

conflicts with the new files but it is safe to clear this out after you get an update

It does not always work for every problem but it should help with problems with the battery at least that is what Verizon and Samsung told me.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I rely on my phone to work properly at all times and definitely want you to be able to use your phone without any trouble, markmurphy. Let's take a closer look into what's going on. Please tell us more about what's happening with your device. Have you updated all apps on your phone?

Danielle_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
markmurphy
Enthusiast - Level 2

When the update finished, I looked to make sure it didn't "lose" anything and noticed it was extremely unresponsive and some settings had changed.  New OS version, it's to be expected... so I attempted booted into recovery to clear cache as usual.  That's where it got weird.  Instead of the normal recovery menu it launched into a blue screen with the Android character and a message stating "Installing system update" which ran for a couple seconds and changed to a second blue screen, with the Android on it's side, a yellow triangle with an exclamation point, and the message "No command". This eventually cleared to the normal recovery menu where I could clear cache and reboot.

Once the system was fully booted I removed apps I no longer use and updated all remaining apps that had updates available. I have since gone about restoring settings that had reset in the update to my preferences.  I have also cleared the cache on the individual apps that I use.

Problems that remain:  Device is sluggish waking up (using either the power or home buttons), and sometimes requires several attempts to wake it up.  Screen will occasionally freeze on incoming calls so they cannot be answered.  Device is still sluggish populating the screen on wake-up and when changing screens.  The phone application will fail to dial out maybe one out of seven or eight times I use it.  There are other minor annoyances but those are the biggies.  I use this device for business as well as personal and I am really trying to avoid having to do a full reset because as we all know what a hassle that is.  Any insight would be appreciated.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for providing those additional details, markmurphy. It's certainly important to be able to depend on your phone, especially for business purposes. You mentioned an issue with the phone failing to dial. What is happening when the phone fails to make a call? Can you clarify the issue with the screen populating please? I understand that you have removed some applications that are no longer in use. I would like to test your phone in Safe Mode to ensure that none of the downloaded apps are causing an issue with your device: http://vz.to/2oF8nTm . Are you still experiencing the same issues while your device is in Safe Mode?

Lauren_VZW

0 Likes
markmurphy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your assistance, but I think I am done.  T-Mobile is doing deals on the S9 and their rates look better as well.  I do appreciate your time spent on this matter.

MISTHERD17
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same exact issues. I've spent hours on the phone and online trying to get my visual voicemail back. I can't. Manually accessing my voicemail provides me incorrect time stamps which I've also had to explore to no avail.

My battery is near dead around lunch. I get anxiousby the end of the day and constantly have to think about recharging. I have chargers everywhere and 2 battery banks around just in case which is ridiculous. I haven't suddenly started using my phone differently to rationalize this and actually use it less than I did months ago.

So my phone is slow and glitchy, i don't even get notifications about voicemails, my visual voicemail doesn't work, my vm timestamp is wrong, my battery is down 15% with a half hour of use trying too fix my verizon issues, and this is hours of my life while I am already so stressed about so many issues in my life right now.

The only reliable solution to fixingthe voicemail issue that I've found is to change carriers. I'd like to stay with verizon, but this has been almost 2 weeks. I'm in the military--I can't have a phone that doesn't even function as one. I already have an iPad. I guess I'm giving it until Monday to fix itself and then I'm back to att.