reboot problems with new update VRUEMJ7
jshal1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I updated my s4 this AM and now whenever I try to send an email it'll reboot within 20 seconds. This is really bad. Has anyone else had this problem. My S4 is encrypted per my company's policy but other than that it's not modified in any other way.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: reboot problems with new update VRUEMJ7
Over70
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think the problem is solved for now. I have pasted in Klue’s suggestions so I can address them one by one.

1. I took the case off

2. I pulled the battery for 15 minutes and then reinstalled the battery and put the case back on. That was yesterday and I have had only one unexpected shutoff and that was when I was using Words with Friends. Should I uninstall Words with Friends and reinstall it? Could that be the cause of my phone intermittent;y shutting off?

For the future, I would like to understand the additional steps listed.

3. I looked up reboot in safe mode via Google, but do not understand what I am supposed to do once in safe mode. Please explain what what I should be looking for and then once I find it, what do I do.

4. Where is the SD card. When I took off the case, I saw the large battery with 2 smaller silver things above it. I was able to get the battery out with a screwdriver prying the side, but didn’t dare use a screw driver to remove the 2 smaller silver squares. First, which is the SD card? and then, how do I remove it? Once the SD card is removed, what am I looking for?

6. Factory reset. I wouldn’t try that by myself. I’d take it to the Verizon store because they set the phone up for me when I bought it. It might help you to know that I am 75 years old and this is my first smartphone. I am a complete novice with smart phones and technology so need very explicit directions.

I’m assuming that removing the battery for 15 minutes is similar to unplugging my computer for a couple of minutes when it does funny stuff –it somehow resets stuff. Is that correct and should that always be a first step?

Thank you for listing the steps so clearly. It really helped, but for someone as ignorant of technology as I am, more information about what to look for and then what to do with whatever I see would be helpful.

Thanks for your help.

created by Klue in Samsung Galaxy S4 - View the full discussion

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Over70
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too have a similar problem.  There was a Samsung update yesterday and ever since, my S4 randomly reboots.  Does anyone have any answers to explain this and how to undo that update?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your device should improve after a software update Over70! Have you tried a battery pull? That's a good first step. If the difficulties continue, it could be app conflict with the new OS. Did you retain all of your apps when you updated?

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
Over70
Enthusiast - Level 2

I pulled the battery and that didn't solve the random shutting down.  All my apps were retain when I updated.  I have not since added or removed any apps. but my S4 continues to randomly shut down.  Please help and send a fix.  Do others have this problem?

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

Lets try these and only do them one at a time. Go to the next one if the problem persists.

1. If you have a case on the phone take it off.  It might be rubbing against the power switch.

2. Pull battery for 15 minutes and reinstall.

3. Reboot in safe mode to rule out any possibility of an installed app causing the problem.

4. Operate the phone without the sd card.  It could be corrupted.

5. Put a different battery in the phone.

6. Lastly try a factory reset.

If none of these things dont work then your phone probably has a hardware problem.

good luck

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Over70,
I want this resolved as soon as possible! Klue provided great troubleshooting steps. Did you get a chance to complete the suggestions? Please share your results so I may further assist accordingly. Thank you.

TominqueBo_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Over70
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think the problem is solved for now. I have pasted in Klue’s suggestions so I can address them one by one.

1. I took the case off

2. I pulled the battery for 15 minutes and then reinstalled the battery and put the case back on. That was yesterday and I have had only one unexpected shutoff and that was when I was using Words with Friends. Should I uninstall Words with Friends and reinstall it? Could that be the cause of my phone intermittent;y shutting off?

For the future, I would like to understand the additional steps listed.

3. I looked up reboot in safe mode via Google, but do not understand what I am supposed to do once in safe mode. Please explain what what I should be looking for and then once I find it, what do I do.

4. Where is the SD card. When I took off the case, I saw the large battery with 2 smaller silver things above it. I was able to get the battery out with a screwdriver prying the side, but didn’t dare use a screw driver to remove the 2 smaller silver squares. First, which is the SD card? and then, how do I remove it? Once the SD card is removed, what am I looking for?

6. Factory reset. I wouldn’t try that by myself. I’d take it to the Verizon store because they set the phone up for me when I bought it. It might help you to know that I am 75 years old and this is my first smartphone. I am a complete novice with smart phones and technology so need very explicit directions.

I’m assuming that removing the battery for 15 minutes is similar to unplugging my computer for a couple of minutes when it does funny stuff –it somehow resets stuff. Is that correct and should that always be a first step?

Thank you for listing the steps so clearly. It really helped, but for someone as ignorant of technology as I am, more information about what to look for and then what to do with whatever I see would be helpful.

Thanks for your help.

created by Klue in Samsung Galaxy S4 - View the full discussion

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Safe mode prevents any of the third part app you have downloaded from the Play store from running.

You shouldn't be using metal objects like a screwdriver to pull out the battery or the SIM card or the SD card.  You could damage the gold contact points.  Grease from your fingertips could also prevent the contact from making a solid conection too.

The two silver slot are described and their use in the owner's manual (available online) and the quick-start guide the came with the phone.  The one on the left above the battery in the SD card slot.  You should use your fingernail to push it in slightly to release the latch catch.  This will push the SD card out of the slot further to let you pull it out the rest of the way.

The SIM card (on the right side above the battery) can only be accessed by removing the battery and using the same method above to release the SIM card far enough for you grab ahold of it to pull out.

To reinstall both cards, you need to position them as shown in the right orientation next to each slot and push them all the way in for the latch to catch and keep them in.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Additional information can be found here:

Samsung Galaxy S4 32GB Black Mist  Support | Verizon Wireless

Instructions with photos are found by hovering over the SIM and SD Cards tab, then choosing Inserting or Removing.  The full device manual can be downloaded by clicking the Device Manual link just below the graphics.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Over70, thanks for trying all of those steps. You're headed in the right direction of resolving this issue. I must say that I'm very impressed with your knowledge of this device as you're at an age of pure wisdom.

You are correct. Removing the battery from your device is form of soft resetting your device.

If you have any other issues or concerns about your device; support is just a click away http://bit.ly/y5iuoj

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes