update 4DRB1 battery problems
Baylorr
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since installing the latest update G920VVRS4DRB1 battery service has gone down hill.  Is there a fix for this?

0 Likes
Re: update 4DRB1 battery problems
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BAYREI98,

Sorry to hear about trouble with your device after installing the latest update. How long ago did you complete the update, and is the issue still occurring? Often after completing an update, it can take about a week or so for all of the applications to be optimized, and sometimes longer for app developers to push compatability updates if necessary. If the issue is still occurring, please have a look at your phone's battery information in settings to see if it shows any particular application or service using more power than normal. We'll be standing by.

EricW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BRUENG2
Enthusiast - Level 3

When is the software patch going to be available? Charging my phone every 3 hours in not acceptable not practical.

0 Likes
BRUENG2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was in Verizon store yesterday. They know the update screwed up all S6 and S7. Don't have a fix. Will eventually release a patch. God only knows when.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BRUENG2, software updates are meant to enhance the phone. So sorry to hear it is causing problems. Help is here. With any software update, it is always recommended completing a factory data reset on the phone to ensure all 3rd party applications are compatible with the new software. If the 3rd party applications are not compatible, it can cause the device issues as these applications work harder, causing the battery to drain. Please advise if this step has been completed. Click here for the steps for resetting the device. http://spr.ly/6584DTHxm

NatashaA_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BRUENG2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had dozens of updates and at to time have I had to rest my phone. I visited a Verizon store and they all were aware of this issue.

So why would you tell me this when it is clearly not the correct answer?.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Have you ever cleared the cache partition on the phone? After shutting the phone off hold Volume up-power-home. Use the volume down key to go to clear cache partition then tap the power key then use the volume down to say yes and the power key again. Then just reboot the phone like normal This is one of the most common problems after an update. Doing this will not change any of the phone settings. It just clears out a lot of old files that may be in conflict with the new ones

0 Likes
BRUENG2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes I exactly that procedure prior to contacting you. What i was told was that the update to the s6 and s7 phones tries to bring them up to s8 as far as software.  This causes the battery to die from attempting this.

Hard to believe a commercial store knows this but Verizon doesn't.

Not your fault just stating facts from a frustrated consumer who has 3 lines

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We'd like to apologize for the confusion regarding your update and different information being given, BRUENG2. It's important your device battery is working as it should. Let's take a closer look into this. Samsung has not advised that this is a known issue with the update at this time. Samsung does advise that after a software update, the device goes through an application optimization which occurs in the background. This is a necessary part of the update and you will experience battery drain during this time frame. This should correct itself within a few days. If you continue to have trouble, we would further troubleshoot. Please ensure all apps are up to date. What is the device used for daily? How many hours does the battery last before it will power off from battery drain? Has there been any damage to the phone?

DanielleR_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
McC007
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yep, same problem here.

To answer the support queries:

1. This has happened since the update was pushed, roughly a week ago.  In fact, it seems to be getting worse.

2. Battery longevity before update - minimum 48 hours

3. Battery longevity after update - roughly 8 hours

Checking the Battery usage under Settings, Android OS typically uses nearly 40%.  To put it in perspective, my phone has been doing nothing since I started typing this, and in the last 10 minutes battery has dropped 5%.

For what it is worth, this is the second battery destroying update I've had in the last 3 months.  Before the one in December, I could get 3-4 days.  After the December update - about 6 hours.  Ended up driving 45 minutes to the nearest Samsung support keyosk, in a Best Buy, where they did a hard refresh.  That "improved" the usage to the 48 hour mark.

And don't get me started on how the latest updates have screwed up wireless connectivity.  On my home wireless, pre-Dec update, no problems.  Since that update, I have constant problems in that the connection drops all the time, and I have to reconnect every 30 minutes or so.  I finally gave up and turned off wireless unless I need it - which actually helped the battery usage substantially.