voicemail notifications
JDHUD01

I bought a factory unlocked Samsung S8 from Best Buy to use on Verizon where I have been customer for 16 years.  I bought unlocked because it was cheaper than buying a Verizon Locked phone.  The phone for the most part works fine but I don't get any notifications that I am getting voicemail's.  I have to randomly call every couple of hours to see if I have gotten a voicemail.  I can check it fine.  I called support and was told it is not their problem that I bought a non Verizon phone and they cannot send me the basic voicemail app it has to come pre-installed on phones locked for Verizon that the only thing I can do is buy another phone from Verizon or deal with it.  I am seriously thinking of leaving Verizon over this.  I have to get notifications that I have emails.  

0 Likes
Re: voicemail notifications
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The voicemail application is for the visual voicemail.  Did you use visual voicemail on our previous phone?  If so, you should call customer service and ask them to add a block visual voicemail to your line.  Then you will need to verify your basic non-visual voicemail is setup by dialing *86 to access the voicemail system.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JDHUD01- we want to make sure that you get your notifications for your Voicemail. Please respond to the Private Message I have sent you so that I can assist you further. I look forward to your response.

YeseniaV_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
kmratliff75

I have this same issue and received the same feedback when I called into customer care, really disappointing.

0 Likes
TNECDEB

I have had this same issue ever since I purchased an unlocked Galaxy S8+ from Best Buy.  Have spent countless HOURS on the phone with Verizon customer service and still has not been resolved.  I am able to get notifications for everything EXCEPT voice mail.   One representative from Verizon said that I would need to go back to using the *86, enter code, and listen to all the prompts.   I haven't had to do that since way back in the day with a flip phone.  Even my previous phone, Galaxy S5, allowed me to push the play button and listen to messages...FOR FREE. 

Problem with this is, I don't even know I have messages because of not getting any notifications.  Going back to *86 etc is like going backwards with technology instead of forward.  I'm not a happy Verizon customer and seriously thinking about changing providers even though I have had service with them for 20+ years. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Was your previous phone a Verizon Wireless branded device?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
TNECDEB

Yes Ann154, my previous phone was a Verizon Galaxy S5.   The voice mail on there was simple to use, no having to dial *86 and the various options.  All I needed to do was hit the arrow button to play the message.  I didn't have voice to text option on the S5 and I don't need it on here.  I just need a voice mail application that gives notifications and a simple way to access it instead of reverting back to the flip phone era.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yet you decided to purchase the unlocked model for the s8. The Verizon Wireless branded device will have the visual voicemail application included in the build. The unlocked model won't. So your options are to used the basic non-visual voicemail or a third party voicemail system like Google Voice or YouMail. Unlocked devices don't always work fully with whichever carrier you choose to use it on. This is one of those examples. The instructions for restoring your notifications for the Verizon Wireless voicemail system have already been provided in the thread and it would be using the basic non-visual voicemail.

0 Likes
TNECDEB

Yes I decided to purchase the unlocked model because it was about $150.00 cheaper than going through Verizon to purchase the same phone.  With all of the Verizon customer service people I have talked to none have said that  this phone wouldn't work the same as a Verizon branded phone.   I would think that Verizon customer service would have told me this and also the salesperson at Best Buy where I purchased the phone.  Good thing I have an unlocked phone, it's time to look into other cell phone providers. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Switching carriers because you can't get a Verizon Wireless exclusive feature on an unlocked phone? I have heard stranger things.

There are other options to get the visual voicemail experience. Options that have already suggested.

0 Likes