why am i having data dropping issues
norman4u
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have typical data problems when im in doors but the most biggest problem i have, that i have been having, is when i use my phone as a hotspot, the data will drop and come back and it does it alot....some times i have to turn the hotspot off or turn my phone off and turn it back on trying to resolve the problem but sometimes it fixes but most of the time the problem keeps happening as long as im using my phone as a hotspot...i use it to connect my computer to the internet....I would like to know if the problem can be fixed, is it a hardware problem or is it a program or driver/ something that is effecting the way the radio works on the phone...plus my battery drains pretty quick just using it normal...i really am starting to not like the phone and it is because of this issue, i need it addresses and hopefully i will receive a fix.....samsung galaxy s 3

0 Likes
Re: why am i having data dropping issues
angelabader
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the exact same issue with my S3.

I use the phone as a hotspot for work in a construction field office. Typically it is fine at the beginning of the day. When it starts, there is no real fix. I usually end up jumping on to the hotspot of the other guy in my office. It's not a reception thing, because it doesn't even switch to 3G and the guy next to me has full 4G data. I can literally sit there and watch the 4G symbol go off, then on, then off, then on a few times a minute. It renders the hotspot useless.

In an attempt to figure out the problem, I've taken the Otter Box Commuter case off today, to see if the phone itself was getting too hot while sitting on a charger with the hotspot running, causing some kind of problem with the radio. Part of me hopes that is the issue, but part of me hopes I don't have to take the case off everyday.

EDIT: Taking the case off did not work.

angelabader
Enthusiast - Level 2

Still no response?

BobbySRQ
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been having the Exact same issue. I too work in the field and use my GSIII as a hot spot for my Nexus 10. The weird thing is that it doesn't drop down to 3g, it just vanishes. I am on my 3rd phone and it's still the same. I even persuaded Google to send me a replacement tablet, which they gladly did, but the issue continues. Verizon blamed Google and even said no one at Verizon has ever heard of this problem. When I use my LTE Xoom as a hot spot, no problems at all, but I got the Nexus 10 to replace the Xoom. I'm not about to carry my Nexus, GSIII, and Xoom around with me everyday. It's obviously not a Google problem and I did buy this phone from Verizon not Samsung. They spotlight the hot spot in their ads so why do they give me a hard time when I expect it to work?

norman4u
Enthusiast - Level 2

im pretty sure it has something to do with the phone or something to do with verizons build on the phone...i just want a answer to the problem and get it fixed

0 Likes
angelabader
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got my 2nd replacement phone and same thing. It seems like a S3 issue with the hotspot and JB. But the replacement phones automatically update to JB from ICS so there is no preventing it.

0 Likes
BobbySRQ
Enthusiast - Level 1

After my second replacement Verizon gave up and just sent me a Galaxy Note

2. So far, no issues and the Note is running 4.1.1

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi norman4u!

If a fix is what you wish, then your wish is my command. Hey, I know firsthand that there's not a whole lot better than a consistent data signal so let me pass on the same luck to you.

Turning your phone off and back on is great when troubleshooting an issue like this but I have hopes for keeping your signal up for much longer than what you're describing. At this point in time, I've not seen any known issues regarding this. What I would like to focus in on first is pulling the SIM card http://vz.to/V5RXCf . Please give that a shot so your phone can resync with our network. Additionally, utilizing the hotspot for your computer may use more data thus causing a difference in battery usage (though it should not be dramatic). How much does it drain and for how long do you use it? Also, since your coverage may be a potential issue with your data dropping, what's your zip code? We've got you covered!

EvanO_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us On Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
norman4u
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will try removing the sim card.....If im using the hotspot and again it goes to doing the same thing as before, i will know that the sim card was not the problem....The battery thing is not so much a problem because i have an extra battery if need to change it...So that is really not such a bad problem....I just know that i can have a good signal with 4g or 3g and it vanishes to nothing, then comes back and then goes away again.   It does this alot of times.  If i turn off the hotspot, the signal will be ok...the problem usually happens when i use hotspot.  I cannot imagine that u have never heard of this problem before, when i see alot of comments concerning this problem.  I have even google online to see if others have the same problem, which i have found out many have the same problem as i am having with the radio part...If i have a good signal area and the signal just vanishes for unknown reasons, then it has nothing to do with a zipcode area, because it happens again in areas with the best signals...it just drops and vanishes, either the 4g or 3g...I think if you research this problem, you will see that there is more that is having this problem than just me...I think it has something to do with the build on this phone, I have not had this problem with any other phones that i have had....Like i said, i will try the sim card. thank you norman

0 Likes
frescagod
Enthusiast - Level 1

i am having the exact same problem, in areas with a perfectly strong -75dbm signal. my data connection will never drop unless i start hotspotting, in which case, it will eventually start to just cut in and out (not to 3G, but LTE to nothing over and over). amazingly, my hotspot will also work perfectly for anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or two, but eventually, it starts cutting in and out over and over. i talked to a Verizon CSR and they offered to replace the phone shell, but i have protection via Best Buy so i declined.

it sounds like this is a Verizon issue, anyway. this is an interesting article from last year: http://www.phonenews.com/mobile-hotspot-verizon-4g-lte-dropoout-disconnect-19574/

i don't really know what to do. i have five phones on my plan and pay Verizon over $300 a month for a plan that includes hotspotting, and yet they don't deliver on it. i came from Sprint and i have been generally happy but i suppose the grass is always greener. we'll see how AT&T goes in 18 months.