Is my Tab S3 dead?
Davel23
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a SM-T827V which has been working great, up until last night. At that time I pulled it out and opened the magnetic cover which normally wakes the screen. This time, nothing. I thought maybe the unit had turned off for some reason or hadn't been properly connected to the charger so the battery had died, so I held the power button to turn it on. The tablet vibrated and the "Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 powered by Android" screen appeared and sat for what seemed like at least a minute or two. At that point the device went black, vibrated again, and the same screen appeared. It kept doing this in a cycle, endlessly.

After a little online searching it seems that this is not a completely unusual problem with the Tab S3 and the recommended solution is to reflash the firmware. So I downloaded Odin 3.14.4 and the most recent Android 9 firmware from Sammobile.com, installed the Samsung USB drivers and put the device into Odin mode. Following provided instructions I ran Odin, selected the firmware files in the appropriate places (I used HOME_CSC rather than just plain CSC as I was hoping to retain my settings and apps) clicked Start and Odin went to work. It ran through some text output and ended with "<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)" and the tablet rebooted. It vibrated and came up with a black screen with "Recovery booting...." in blue lettering at the top. Progress! Except now it just boot loops to that screen instead of the Samsung logo one.

I tried re-flashing with CSC instead of HOME_CSC. Same results. Tried booting with the SIM and SD cards removed. Same results. Tried re-flashing with the SIM and SD card removed. Same results. So, is there something else I can try or am I just completely out of luck?

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is my Tab S3 dead?
Davel23
Enthusiast - Level 3

Anyone? This tablet is just over two years old and I'm not really in a position to replace it so I'd really like to get it working.

0 Likes
Re: Is my Tab S3 dead?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Wow, Davel23. I am sad to hear you are experiencing issues with the tablet. I know how handy it can be, so my goal is to help resolve this for you. I see you have done a series of troubleshooting steps to get the tablet up and running, but with not luck. No worries, help is here. Is there any physical or water damage to it? Please responed with a private note. 

0 Likes