Re: 2.2 Froyo Update
Soulchaser
Enthusiast - Level 3

titanim backup app will let you make an entire backup of all data on the phone and once you "take care of it" sign back in to your gmail account and all apps that were paid for will come back to the phone (like titanium backup) to restore the data...simple and easy

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

jlk_250 wrote:

M91-30 wrote:

if you want the update, go get it, it's free, and involves no actual modification. you just download and install in less than 20 minutes total time involved.

Is it possible to do this without wiping the user data on the phone?   So far all I have found are methods that require you to wipe the phone and start completely over.  I'm assuming that the OTA version will leave user data intact, once it finally arrives.

I for one don't care about 2.2 except for the things that I need that don't run on 2.1.   And for that, I care a lot. 

there are ways, like titanium backup, that will let you back up apps, ect...  even the OTA will most likely have to wipe your data, it has to do the same thing you do to install the leak.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

There are ways to go from 2.1 to one of the 2.2 roms without wiping data but most people run into problems more often than not (force closes, etc).  The OTA shouldn't wipe data but it's still possible that there could be conflicts as with any update.  I have a couple friends with the Epic on Sprint and received the update a while back before it was pulled.  One worked fine and the others wouldn't boot after the update and had to wipe data.  The good thing about Froyo is that it automatically starts downloading your apps again in the event of a wipe when you sign into your google account.   Even when the official update comes, I'd suggest a factory reset for everyone as it clears out any corrupt data and you're less likely to run into problems. 

0 Likes
watersh
Enthusiast - Level 3

I installed the verizon leaked 2.2. Everything works perfect, including flash. Same UI as we have now. {edited to comply with Terms of Service}

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

jlk_250 wrote:

M91-30 wrote:

if you want the update, go get it, it's free, and involves no actual modification. you just download and install in less than 20 minutes total time involved.

Is it possible to do this without wiping the user data on the phone?   So far all I have found are methods that require you to wipe the phone and start completely over.  I'm assuming that the OTA version will leave user data intact, once it finally arrives.

I for one don't care about 2.2 except for the things that I need that don't run on 2.1.   And for that, I care a lot. 

Let's see, I have gone through two updates to the Android version on different phones.  Droid Eris OTA 1.5 to 2.1 and HTC Aria 2.1-update1 to 2.2.2  Both caused a wipe of the data.  Eris was not a full factory reset, but the text messages and call log was lost.  Ended up doing a factory reset anyway due to issues with the keyboard not working properly.  The Aria forced a complete factory reset and was noted in the instructions to update through a computer.  From the reading I have done about AT&T's Samsung Captivate, I believe their update had a factory reset as part of the final step.

If you have steps on place before the update before it happens, it doesn't long to get the basics (contacts, gmail, email, text messages, etc) setup again.  Reloading your apps from the market should take some time.  You want to re-add those slowly.  Only one or two apps per day and using them in that time period to ensure you don't a conflict with anything else.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vanessas_vzw
Verizon Employee

Hi.

Verizon Wireless began pushing Android 2.2, Froyo, to the Samsung Fascinate on April 21, 2011.  Enhancements include support for Adobe Flash Player.  You can visit www.verizonwireless.com/fascinatesupport for more information and download instructions for the software update. Customers will also be able to download the update manually by going to Settings > About Phone > Update Phone.

Thank you,

0 Likes